Re: [Czechlist] value/values in a company slogan..

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
      We squeeze value out of our values.

      The value is our values.

      Jamie

      On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Solid value. Solid values.
      >>
      >> For sound value(s)
      >>
      >> Higher value, highest values
      >
      > Better value, best values
      >
      > Go for value, bring home the values
      >
      > Honey, you forgot the values
      >
      > ...where values are valuables
      >

      > Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.
      >
      > Melyn

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
        I think it's usually called just the area (or was called that - it may
        be an old-fashioned term). I remember coming across it in Mary Poppins
        (or Ballet Shoes, maybe) and wondering what it was - "Cook was standing
        in the area door" etc.

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
          Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..

          I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
          a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
          photoshopped into a seeing eye..

          So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
          change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
          there on many things)...

          We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
          anything

          >On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:
          >

          >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> Solid value. Solid values.
          >>>
          >>> For sound value(s)
          >>>
          >>> Higher value, highest values
          >>
          >> Better value, best values
          >>
          >> Go for value, bring home the values
          >>
          >> Honey, you forgot the values
          >>
          >> ...where values are valuables
          >>

          >> Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.
          >>
          >> Melyn

        • Simon
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
            Riffing on Melvyn's idea:

            An eye for value. An eye for values.

            Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

            Simon

            > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
            >
            > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
            > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
            > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
            >
            > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
            > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
            > there on many things)...
            >
            > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
            > anything

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
              Keeping an eye out for good value(s) :-)

              We have an eye for the value within the valuable

              Value - some only eye it up

              Value - it it true or is it just you?

              Value - some only see the price (thanks, Oscar Wilde)

              Others seek value, we see value

              Others see a value, we see the value

              Always eyeing up the potential

              (as I say, this hodnota can often be awkward in other contexts too. Jamie's idea could be put to good use here and elsewhere)

              As for "don't" versus "do not", I think both are possible here. "Do not" is probably best if you want to stay cultivated and refined IMHO.

              BR

              Melvyn

              > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
              >
              > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
              > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
              > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
              >
              > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
              > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
              > there on many things)...
              >
              > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
              > anything

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                > Others seek value, we see value

                Course, this sounds very pompous. Try playing around with it and toning it down, e.g.

                Value. Some see it - some just don't

                I think "don't" works better here. Probably even more pompous, mind.

                BR

                Melvyn
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                  I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

                  Jamie

                  On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                  > Value - some only eye it up

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                    > I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

                    Yes, it can be:
                    eye something or someone up: ogle, leer at, make eyes at, give (someone) the (glad) eye My brother is forever eyeing up women in the street.
                    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eyeing+up

                    but it can also have the broader sense of consider, often IMHO with a view to acquiring:

                    To examine closely something coveted.
                    www.allwords.com/word-eye+up.html

                    Lenovo eyeing up IBM's x86 server business

                    Celtic Manager Neil Lennon Eyeing Up a Top Premier League Job

                    Boxing - Evans eyeing up switch to professional ranks

                    One of those little words favoured by British tabloid journalists IMO.

                    I take it this is not common stateside. Just another of the million pitfalls then.

                    BR

                    Melvyn
                  • Melvyn
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013

                      > Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

                      Is Simon justified in his cynicism? Wasn't the client at least a little impressed?

                      BR

                      Melvyn
                    • Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013
                        Many thanks to Matej, Sarka, Valerie and Jirka for your input on back gardens and areaways. All useful stuff. OK my solution for back gardens might not be watertight, but I reckon it works more often than not.

                        BR

                        Melvyn