value/values in a company slogan..

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
      I'd like to check a few ideas with native brains, if I may..

      A client of mine - an investment outfit - has a slogan in ENG on their
      marketing materials - I think they came up with it themselves by
      translating it from Czech

      In Czech, it would be "Vidime hodnoty i tam, kde je ostatni nevidi" As
      in we find a business and identify all opportunities in it, not only in
      terms of money/value, but also other hodnoty/values, as in ethical
      stuff, maybe arts, or community/social impact, possibly extended to
      charity and corp. responsibility (OK, a bit cheesy for a company that
      buys-out, cuts costs and then sells, but you know what I mean..)

      What they did (inevitably) is:

      "We see values where others don't," which of course is the later claim,
      values in plural being about ethics, principles, morals etc., BUT NOT
      about money at the same time like in the Czech version..

      I suggested just going "We see value where others don't," but they
      don't like the fact that this is about the money bit only and there's
      no ambiguity to suggest the nice/ethical bit..

      I personally think it's a reasonable and OK-sounding claim for this
      type of company as it is (with value)... and I don't see an easy way of
      combining value and values in a nice and short claim, but maybe it can
      be done:

      We look at values where others only see value..

      We look at values, not just value..

      ...Still sounds too complicated and less punchy/copy-like to me, any
      ideas?

      On a side note, someone from within the company, a native speaker
      presumably, said that: on a more minor note I would not use “don’t” but
      “do not”. While I think it’s still grammatically acceptable to use
      don’t now it is considered lazy and slang still by many (me included J)….
      ... that sounds weird to me, this type of claim/copy/slogan normally
      uses things like don't and we'll and using the formal forms makes it
      clumsy - (We see value where others do not certainly does to me) any
      comments? (interesting that he writes I would not use and then it's:)
      Thanks
      Matej

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
        also, zahradka on its own is one of those zahradkarska
        > kolonie things, a vegetable patch, or plot I believe it would be called
        > in England,

        Very often called allotments in Britain. You can be on the waiting list for an allotment for years and years.

        > BTW, do you know what 'anglicky dvorek' is?

        Some kind of sklepni svetlik? A basement skylight?

        BR

        Melvyn
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
          > BTW, do you know what 'anglicky dvorek' is?

          Some kind of sklepni svetlik? A basement skylight?

          Yes, a concrete box in a dug-out on the side of a building to provide
          (very little) light and ventilation through a window that is under the
          ground level.. I presume it's called anglicky after those things
          Victorian town houses in England have: the wrought iron-fenced bit
          where a few steps take you down to an extra door to the basement level,
          or a little yard to keep your bin in and a window... but it's hardly
          the same..

          It's normally not covered by glass, though, just some grates.. and the
          light does not come directly through it, but through a normal window
          that's inside, the box is typically only a metre or less wide, there
          even are prefab fiberglass ones.. doesn't really fit my understanding
          of a skylight, can't remember what I called it when it popped-up in a
          translation..

          http://www.google.cz/search?q=anglicky+dvorek&client=firefox-a&hs=d3N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0mt6UYfTIoilO4OxgGg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
            I don't think you can create an English slogan that means exactly the same thing, but a near equivalent that comes to my mind would be:

            "We see potential that others miss."

            You could argue that this means not only business potential, but worker potential, potential advantages for the community, etc.

            I'll keep thinking.

            Jamie

            On Apr 26, 2013, at 7:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

            > I'd like to check a few ideas with native brains, if I may..
            >
            > A client of mine - an investment outfit - has a slogan in ENG on their
            > marketing materials - I think they came up with it themselves by
            > translating it from Czech
            >
            > In Czech, it would be "Vidime hodnoty i tam, kde je ostatni nevidi" As
            > in we find a business and identify all opportunities in it, not only in
            > terms of money/value, but also other hodnoty/values, as in ethical
            > stuff, maybe arts, or community/social impact, possibly extended to
            > charity and corp. responsibility (OK, a bit cheesy for a company that
            > buys-out, cuts costs and then sells, but you know what I mean..)
            >
            > What they did (inevitably) is:
            >
            > "We see values where others don't," which of course is the later claim,
            > values in plural being about ethics, principles, morals etc., BUT NOT
            > about money at the same time like in the Czech version..
            >
            > I suggested just going "We see value where others don't," but they
            > don't like the fact that this is about the money bit only and there's
            > no ambiguity to suggest the nice/ethical bit..
            >
            > I personally think it's a reasonable and OK-sounding claim for this
            > type of company as it is (with value)... and I don't see an easy way of
            > combining value and values in a nice and short claim, but maybe it can
            > be done:
            >
            > We look at values where others only see value..
            >
            > We look at values, not just value..
            >

            > ...Still sounds too complicated and less punchy/copy-like to me, any
            > ideas?
            >
            > On a side note, someone from within the company, a native speaker
            > presumably, said that: on a more minor note I would not use "don't" but
            > "do not". While I think it's still grammatically acceptable to use
            > don't now it is considered lazy and slang still by many (me included J)....
            > ... that sounds weird to me, this type of claim/copy/slogan normally
            > uses things like don't and we'll and using the formal forms makes it
            > clumsy - (We see value where others do not certainly does to me) any
            > comments? (interesting that he writes I would not use and then it's:)
            > Thanks
            > Matej

          • Melvyn
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

              > On Apr 26, 2013, at 7:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

              > > We look at values where others only see value..
              > >
              > > We look at values, not just value..

              Keep it short and snappy and I think this is a fine idea.

              Solid value. Solid values.

              For sound value(s)

              Higher value, highest values

              Or could you play around with "worth" and "worthy"? Not just worthy, but worth it. Hmmm.

              BR

              Melvyn
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                This one is an outstanding suggestion! WOW! That's the one I would use if I were the client.

                Jamie

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                  Hi Melvyn,

                  I beg to differ from the suggestion that zahrada equals back garden. A
                  back garden in Britain is usually zahradka as well (small size) but it
                  is za domem or even simply zadni.

                  Zadni (or predni) zahradka could cause some ambiguity as it may refer to
                  an outdoor part of a restaurant. Zahradka is also an informal word for
                  roof rack.

                  Zahrada is often around the house in the Czech Republic.

                  Summarizing, I would choose zahrada or zahradka by size only and refer
                  to its relative position to the house with whatever expressions fits.
                  Predzahradka to mean front garden is obviously fine though...

                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                    > Solid value. Solid values.
                    >
                    > For sound value(s)
                    >
                    > Higher value, highest values

                    Better value, best values

                    Go for value, bring home the values

                    Honey, you forgot the values

                    ...where values are valuables

                    Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.

                    Melyn
                  • Sarka Rubkova
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                      Ahoj Melvyne,

                      Anglicky dvorek = dry area (don't ask me why) or areaway (Definition) A small sunken area allowing access or light and air to basement doors or windows.
                      Front garden = predzahradka
                      Back garden = (usually) zahrada

                      sarka

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                        We squeeze value out of our values.

                        The value is our values.

                        Jamie

                        On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                        > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Solid value. Solid values.
                        >>
                        >> For sound value(s)
                        >>
                        >> Higher value, highest values
                        >
                        > Better value, best values
                        >
                        > Go for value, bring home the values
                        >
                        > Honey, you forgot the values
                        >
                        > ...where values are valuables
                        >

                        > Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.
                        >
                        > Melyn

                      • Valerie Talacko
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                          I think it's usually called just the area (or was called that - it may
                          be an old-fashioned term). I remember coming across it in Mary Poppins
                          (or Ballet Shoes, maybe) and wondering what it was - "Cook was standing
                          in the area door" etc.

                          Valerie

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                            Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..

                            I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
                            a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
                            photoshopped into a seeing eye..

                            So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
                            change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
                            there on many things)...

                            We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
                            anything

                            >On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:
                            >

                            >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Solid value. Solid values.
                            >>>
                            >>> For sound value(s)
                            >>>
                            >>> Higher value, highest values
                            >>
                            >> Better value, best values
                            >>
                            >> Go for value, bring home the values
                            >>
                            >> Honey, you forgot the values
                            >>
                            >> ...where values are valuables
                            >>

                            >> Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.
                            >>
                            >> Melyn

                          • Simon
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                              Riffing on Melvyn's idea:

                              An eye for value. An eye for values.

                              Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

                              Simon

                              > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
                              >
                              > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
                              > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
                              > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
                              >
                              > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
                              > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
                              > there on many things)...
                              >
                              > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
                              > anything

                            • Melvyn
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                Keeping an eye out for good value(s) :-)

                                We have an eye for the value within the valuable

                                Value - some only eye it up

                                Value - it it true or is it just you?

                                Value - some only see the price (thanks, Oscar Wilde)

                                Others seek value, we see value

                                Others see a value, we see the value

                                Always eyeing up the potential

                                (as I say, this hodnota can often be awkward in other contexts too. Jamie's idea could be put to good use here and elsewhere)

                                As for "don't" versus "do not", I think both are possible here. "Do not" is probably best if you want to stay cultivated and refined IMHO.

                                BR

                                Melvyn

                                > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
                                >
                                > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
                                > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
                                > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
                                >
                                > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
                                > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
                                > there on many things)...
                                >
                                > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
                                > anything

                              • Melvyn
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                                  > Others seek value, we see value

                                  Course, this sounds very pompous. Try playing around with it and toning it down, e.g.

                                  Value. Some see it - some just don't

                                  I think "don't" works better here. Probably even more pompous, mind.

                                  BR

                                  Melvyn
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                    I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

                                    Jamie

                                    On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                                    > Value - some only eye it up

                                  • Melvyn
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                                      > I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

                                      Yes, it can be:
                                      eye something or someone up: ogle, leer at, make eyes at, give (someone) the (glad) eye My brother is forever eyeing up women in the street.
                                      http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eyeing+up

                                      but it can also have the broader sense of consider, often IMHO with a view to acquiring:

                                      To examine closely something coveted.
                                      www.allwords.com/word-eye+up.html

                                      Lenovo eyeing up IBM's x86 server business

                                      Celtic Manager Neil Lennon Eyeing Up a Top Premier League Job

                                      Boxing - Evans eyeing up switch to professional ranks

                                      One of those little words favoured by British tabloid journalists IMO.

                                      I take it this is not common stateside. Just another of the million pitfalls then.

                                      BR

                                      Melvyn
                                    • Melvyn
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013

                                        > Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

                                        Is Simon justified in his cynicism? Wasn't the client at least a little impressed?

                                        BR

                                        Melvyn
                                      • Melvyn
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013
                                          Many thanks to Matej, Sarka, Valerie and Jirka for your input on back gardens and areaways. All useful stuff. OK my solution for back gardens might not be watertight, but I reckon it works more often than not.

                                          BR

                                          Melvyn