Re: [Czechlist] TERM: bakalarksa prace atd

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
      In the US:

      bakalarska prace = bachelor's thesis (except that it is relatively unheard of to have to complete one)

      diplomova prace = master's thesis (only since we assume a university diploma in Europe to be the equivalent of a master's degree -- "at LEAST!" (as my Italian prof used to add)

      disertacni prace = doctoral thesis

      Where it's not clear what the degree issued will be, "diplomova prace" is "final thesis".

      Jamie

      On Apr 26, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:

      > A query from our FB contingent. Any preferences?
      >
      > Am i right in my interpretation of the following?
      >
      > bakalarksa prace = bachelor's thesis
      > diplomova prace = master's thesis
      > disertacni prace = doctoral dissertation/thesis
      >

      > MBC: I beleve usage varies from place to place: "In some countries/universities, the word "thesis" or a cognate is used as part of a bachelor's or master's course, while "dissertation" is normally applied to a doctorate, while in others, the reverse is true". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis e.g. at UCL in London (University of London in my day) they normally referred to a bachelor's dissertation and I find this is often the case at English universities, but things are probably different elsewhere. In your shoes I would first check out which university this applies to and then follow usage there.
      >
      > V: thanks - this is an abstract for a "diplomova prace" from some unknown Czech university - no clue as to which one - aren't the terms used the same across the board throughout all Czech univeristies? (sort of basing this on the Czech wiki http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomov%C3%A1_pr%C3%A1ce)
      >
      > MBC: FWIW Česko-anglicky pedagogicky slovnik by Jan Průcha suggests thesis for diplomova prace and dissertation for disertačni prace. No entry for bakalařksa prace, but you will find that here: http://www.fm.tul.cz/dokgrant/cs/data/slovnicek_ak_pojmu.pdf
      >
      > BR
      >
      > M.

    • mary
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
        My department calls them
        bachelor's diploma thesis = bak. dipl. práce
        master's diploma thesis = mag. dipl. práce
        Maria

        > A query from our FB contingent. Any preferences?
        >
        > Am i right in my interpretation of the following?
        >
        > bakalarksa prace = bachelor's thesis
        > diplomova prace = master's thesis
        > disertacni prace = doctoral dissertation/thesis
        >

        > MBC: I beleve usage varies from place to place: "In some countries/universities, the word "thesis" or a cognate is used as part of a bachelor's or master's course, while "dissertation" is normally applied to a doctorate, while in others, the reverse is true". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis e.g. at UCL in London (University of London in my day) they normally referred to a bachelor's dissertation and I find this is often the case at English universities, but things are probably different elsewhere. In your shoes I would first check out which university this applies to and then follow usage there.
        >
        > V: thanks - this is an abstract for a "diplomova prace" from some unknown Czech university - no clue as to which one - aren't the terms used the same across the board throughout all Czech univeristies? (sort of basing this on the Czech wiki http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomov%C3%A1_pr%C3%A1ce)
        >
        > MBC: FWIW Česko-anglický pedagogický slovnik by Jan Průcha suggests thesis for diplomová práce and dissertation for disertační práce. No entry for bakalářksá práce, but you will find that here: http://www.fm.tul.cz/dokgrant/cs/data/slovnicek_ak_pojmu.pdf
        >
        > BR
        >
        > M.

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2013
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mgr. Pavlina Vrabcova" <vrabcova@...> wrote:

          > Don't you like
          >
          > "diploma thesis" for "diplomova praca"?

          My impression is that "diploma thesis" is particularly associated with the educational systems in Central and Eastern Europe.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplom

          BR

          Melvyn