TERM: Back garden

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
      Another issue raised on FB:

      Most houses in Britain that I have lived in had a front garden and a back garden (or backyard/back yard). Way I got things figured, back garden is best translated as zahraadka or zahrada and front garden as prredzahraadka. Does that sound reasonable?

      BR

      Melvyn
      P.S. the bakalarska prace issue has already been dealt with here, but any additional input would be appreciated. Ta very much.
    • Jakub Skrebsky
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
        predzahradka is perfectly fine.

        back garden = zahraadka, if it is used for groving flowers or vegetables
        backyard= dvorek, if it has tiled/concrete surface, chairs and table, etc.

        Jakub

        On 26 Apr 2013, at 11:30, Melvyn wrote:

        Another issue raised on FB:

        Most houses in Britain that I have lived in had a front garden and a back garden (or backyard/back yard). Way I got things figured, back garden is best translated as zahraadka or zahrada and front garden as prredzahraadka. Does that sound reasonable?

        BR

        Melvyn
        P.S. the bakalarska prace issue has already been dealt with here, but any additional input would be appreciated. Ta very much.

      • Markéta Vilhelmová
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
          Hello Melvyn,
          that's correct. Zahraadka is smaller, zahrada is bigger of course. And some
          houses have just a dvuur (backyard), which is usually used for a space in
          between the house and farmery or other smaller buildings and sheds.

          Marketa

          --
          Marketa Vilhelmova
          Domasov u Stbk. 46

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
            That's a great solution, Melvyn..

            I would use zahrada for the back garden, simply because it's typically
            larger, if only by a bit, than front garden - and that being
            (pred)zahradka.. also, zahradka on its own is one of those zahradkarska
            kolonie things, a vegetable patch, or plot I believe it would be called
            in England, there was an interesting UK film recently - based on one of
            those somewhere in Britain, where social services got immigrants
            involved and gave them unused plots and some of the old local blokes
            went berserk.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0847830/

            We don't really have a big tradition of front gardens, though, some
            'radovky' have them, but historically most houses were right on the
            road/pavement, with maybe only a strip of lawn and a few shrubs in
            between..

            Dvur would typically be surrounded by other building and partially
            paved, as in a farmyard.. dvorek would be some sort of hard-surface
            little thing where no gardening except maybe a few potted plants can be
            attempted..

            BTW, do you know what 'anglicky dvorek' is?

            Matej

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
              I'd like to check a few ideas with native brains, if I may..

              A client of mine - an investment outfit - has a slogan in ENG on their
              marketing materials - I think they came up with it themselves by
              translating it from Czech

              In Czech, it would be "Vidime hodnoty i tam, kde je ostatni nevidi" As
              in we find a business and identify all opportunities in it, not only in
              terms of money/value, but also other hodnoty/values, as in ethical
              stuff, maybe arts, or community/social impact, possibly extended to
              charity and corp. responsibility (OK, a bit cheesy for a company that
              buys-out, cuts costs and then sells, but you know what I mean..)

              What they did (inevitably) is:

              "We see values where others don't," which of course is the later claim,
              values in plural being about ethics, principles, morals etc., BUT NOT
              about money at the same time like in the Czech version..

              I suggested just going "We see value where others don't," but they
              don't like the fact that this is about the money bit only and there's
              no ambiguity to suggest the nice/ethical bit..

              I personally think it's a reasonable and OK-sounding claim for this
              type of company as it is (with value)... and I don't see an easy way of
              combining value and values in a nice and short claim, but maybe it can
              be done:

              We look at values where others only see value..

              We look at values, not just value..

              ...Still sounds too complicated and less punchy/copy-like to me, any
              ideas?

              On a side note, someone from within the company, a native speaker
              presumably, said that: on a more minor note I would not use “don’t” but
              “do not”. While I think it’s still grammatically acceptable to use
              don’t now it is considered lazy and slang still by many (me included J)….
              ... that sounds weird to me, this type of claim/copy/slogan normally
              uses things like don't and we'll and using the formal forms makes it
              clumsy - (We see value where others do not certainly does to me) any
              comments? (interesting that he writes I would not use and then it's:)
              Thanks
              Matej

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                also, zahradka on its own is one of those zahradkarska
                > kolonie things, a vegetable patch, or plot I believe it would be called
                > in England,

                Very often called allotments in Britain. You can be on the waiting list for an allotment for years and years.

                > BTW, do you know what 'anglicky dvorek' is?

                Some kind of sklepni svetlik? A basement skylight?

                BR

                Melvyn
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                  > BTW, do you know what 'anglicky dvorek' is?

                  Some kind of sklepni svetlik? A basement skylight?

                  Yes, a concrete box in a dug-out on the side of a building to provide
                  (very little) light and ventilation through a window that is under the
                  ground level.. I presume it's called anglicky after those things
                  Victorian town houses in England have: the wrought iron-fenced bit
                  where a few steps take you down to an extra door to the basement level,
                  or a little yard to keep your bin in and a window... but it's hardly
                  the same..

                  It's normally not covered by glass, though, just some grates.. and the
                  light does not come directly through it, but through a normal window
                  that's inside, the box is typically only a metre or less wide, there
                  even are prefab fiberglass ones.. doesn't really fit my understanding
                  of a skylight, can't remember what I called it when it popped-up in a
                  translation..

                  http://www.google.cz/search?q=anglicky+dvorek&client=firefox-a&hs=d3N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0mt6UYfTIoilO4OxgGg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                    I don't think you can create an English slogan that means exactly the same thing, but a near equivalent that comes to my mind would be:

                    "We see potential that others miss."

                    You could argue that this means not only business potential, but worker potential, potential advantages for the community, etc.

                    I'll keep thinking.

                    Jamie

                    On Apr 26, 2013, at 7:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                    > I'd like to check a few ideas with native brains, if I may..
                    >
                    > A client of mine - an investment outfit - has a slogan in ENG on their
                    > marketing materials - I think they came up with it themselves by
                    > translating it from Czech
                    >
                    > In Czech, it would be "Vidime hodnoty i tam, kde je ostatni nevidi" As
                    > in we find a business and identify all opportunities in it, not only in
                    > terms of money/value, but also other hodnoty/values, as in ethical
                    > stuff, maybe arts, or community/social impact, possibly extended to
                    > charity and corp. responsibility (OK, a bit cheesy for a company that
                    > buys-out, cuts costs and then sells, but you know what I mean..)
                    >
                    > What they did (inevitably) is:
                    >
                    > "We see values where others don't," which of course is the later claim,
                    > values in plural being about ethics, principles, morals etc., BUT NOT
                    > about money at the same time like in the Czech version..
                    >
                    > I suggested just going "We see value where others don't," but they
                    > don't like the fact that this is about the money bit only and there's
                    > no ambiguity to suggest the nice/ethical bit..
                    >
                    > I personally think it's a reasonable and OK-sounding claim for this
                    > type of company as it is (with value)... and I don't see an easy way of
                    > combining value and values in a nice and short claim, but maybe it can
                    > be done:
                    >
                    > We look at values where others only see value..
                    >
                    > We look at values, not just value..
                    >

                    > ...Still sounds too complicated and less punchy/copy-like to me, any
                    > ideas?
                    >
                    > On a side note, someone from within the company, a native speaker
                    > presumably, said that: on a more minor note I would not use "don't" but
                    > "do not". While I think it's still grammatically acceptable to use
                    > don't now it is considered lazy and slang still by many (me included J)....
                    > ... that sounds weird to me, this type of claim/copy/slogan normally
                    > uses things like don't and we'll and using the formal forms makes it
                    > clumsy - (We see value where others do not certainly does to me) any
                    > comments? (interesting that he writes I would not use and then it's:)
                    > Thanks
                    > Matej

                  • Melvyn
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                      > On Apr 26, 2013, at 7:48 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                      > > We look at values where others only see value..
                      > >
                      > > We look at values, not just value..

                      Keep it short and snappy and I think this is a fine idea.

                      Solid value. Solid values.

                      For sound value(s)

                      Higher value, highest values

                      Or could you play around with "worth" and "worthy"? Not just worthy, but worth it. Hmmm.

                      BR

                      Melvyn
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                        This one is an outstanding suggestion! WOW! That's the one I would use if I were the client.

                        Jamie

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                          Hi Melvyn,

                          I beg to differ from the suggestion that zahrada equals back garden. A
                          back garden in Britain is usually zahradka as well (small size) but it
                          is za domem or even simply zadni.

                          Zadni (or predni) zahradka could cause some ambiguity as it may refer to
                          an outdoor part of a restaurant. Zahradka is also an informal word for
                          roof rack.

                          Zahrada is often around the house in the Czech Republic.

                          Summarizing, I would choose zahrada or zahradka by size only and refer
                          to its relative position to the house with whatever expressions fits.
                          Predzahradka to mean front garden is obviously fine though...

                        • Melvyn
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                            > Solid value. Solid values.
                            >
                            > For sound value(s)
                            >
                            > Higher value, highest values

                            Better value, best values

                            Go for value, bring home the values

                            Honey, you forgot the values

                            ...where values are valuables

                            Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.

                            Melyn
                          • Sarka Rubkova
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                              Ahoj Melvyne,

                              Anglicky dvorek = dry area (don't ask me why) or areaway (Definition) A small sunken area allowing access or light and air to basement doors or windows.
                              Front garden = predzahradka
                              Back garden = (usually) zahrada

                              sarka

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                We squeeze value out of our values.

                                The value is our values.

                                Jamie

                                On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Solid value. Solid values.
                                >>
                                >> For sound value(s)
                                >>
                                >> Higher value, highest values
                                >
                                > Better value, best values
                                >
                                > Go for value, bring home the values
                                >
                                > Honey, you forgot the values
                                >
                                > ...where values are valuables
                                >

                                > Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.
                                >
                                > Melyn

                              • Valerie Talacko
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                  I think it's usually called just the area (or was called that - it may
                                  be an old-fashioned term). I remember coming across it in Mary Poppins
                                  (or Ballet Shoes, maybe) and wondering what it was - "Cook was standing
                                  in the area door" etc.

                                  Valerie

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                    Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..

                                    I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
                                    a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
                                    photoshopped into a seeing eye..

                                    So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
                                    change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
                                    there on many things)...

                                    We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
                                    anything

                                    >On Apr 26, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" <zehrovak@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> Solid value. Solid values.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> For sound value(s)
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Higher value, highest values
                                    >>
                                    >> Better value, best values
                                    >>
                                    >> Go for value, bring home the values
                                    >>
                                    >> Honey, you forgot the values
                                    >>
                                    >> ...where values are valuables
                                    >>

                                    >> Hmmm, often an awkward word, that.
                                    >>
                                    >> Melyn

                                  • Simon
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                      Riffing on Melvyn's idea:

                                      An eye for value. An eye for values.

                                      Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

                                      Simon

                                      > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
                                      >
                                      > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
                                      > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
                                      > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
                                      >
                                      > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
                                      > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
                                      > there on many things)...
                                      >
                                      > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
                                      > anything

                                    • Melvyn
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                        Keeping an eye out for good value(s) :-)

                                        We have an eye for the value within the valuable

                                        Value - some only eye it up

                                        Value - it it true or is it just you?

                                        Value - some only see the price (thanks, Oscar Wilde)

                                        Others seek value, we see value

                                        Others see a value, we see the value

                                        Always eyeing up the potential

                                        (as I say, this hodnota can often be awkward in other contexts too. Jamie's idea could be put to good use here and elsewhere)

                                        As for "don't" versus "do not", I think both are possible here. "Do not" is probably best if you want to stay cultivated and refined IMHO.

                                        BR

                                        Melvyn

                                        > Thanks for all suggestions re value-values..
                                        >
                                        > I forgot to mention that the visual that goes with it is a close up of
                                        > a face of a Greek-like statue, with one of those "blind" eyes
                                        > photoshopped into a seeing eye..
                                        >
                                        > So ideally it should have see/seeing in it... but then they can always
                                        > change the visual (well, they may not want to since it's already out
                                        > there on many things)...
                                        >
                                        > We'll see, in any case thanks and keep them coming if you think of
                                        > anything

                                      • Melvyn
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                                          > Others seek value, we see value

                                          Course, this sounds very pompous. Try playing around with it and toning it down, e.g.

                                          Value. Some see it - some just don't

                                          I think "don't" works better here. Probably even more pompous, mind.

                                          BR

                                          Melvyn
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013
                                            I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

                                            Jamie

                                            On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Melvyn wrote:

                                            > Value - some only eye it up

                                          • Melvyn
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 26, 2013

                                              > I'm not sure what "to eye up" means. Is it like ogling?

                                              Yes, it can be:
                                              eye something or someone up: ogle, leer at, make eyes at, give (someone) the (glad) eye My brother is forever eyeing up women in the street.
                                              http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eyeing+up

                                              but it can also have the broader sense of consider, often IMHO with a view to acquiring:

                                              To examine closely something coveted.
                                              www.allwords.com/word-eye+up.html

                                              Lenovo eyeing up IBM's x86 server business

                                              Celtic Manager Neil Lennon Eyeing Up a Top Premier League Job

                                              Boxing - Evans eyeing up switch to professional ranks

                                              One of those little words favoured by British tabloid journalists IMO.

                                              I take it this is not common stateside. Just another of the million pitfalls then.

                                              BR

                                              Melvyn
                                            • Melvyn
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013

                                                > Call me cynical, but I expect they'll reject any decent ideas we might come up with.

                                                Is Simon justified in his cynicism? Wasn't the client at least a little impressed?

                                                BR

                                                Melvyn
                                              • Melvyn
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 29, 2013
                                                  Many thanks to Matej, Sarka, Valerie and Jirka for your input on back gardens and areaways. All useful stuff. OK my solution for back gardens might not be watertight, but I reckon it works more often than not.

                                                  BR

                                                  Melvyn