TERM: bakalarksa prace atd

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
      A query from our FB contingent. Any preferences?

      Am i right in my interpretation of the following?

      bakalarksa prace = bachelor's thesis
      diplomova prace = master's thesis
      disertacni prace = doctoral dissertation/thesis

      MBC: I beleve usage varies from place to place: "In some countries/universities, the word "thesis" or a cognate is used as part of a bachelor's or master's course, while "dissertation" is normally applied to a doctorate, while in others, the reverse is true". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis e.g. at UCL in London (University of London in my day) they normally referred to a bachelor's dissertation and I find this is often the case at English universities, but things are probably different elsewhere. In your shoes I would first check out which university this applies to and then follow usage there.

      V: thanks - this is an abstract for a "diplomova prace" from some unknown Czech university - no clue as to which one - aren't the terms used the same across the board throughout all Czech univeristies? (sort of basing this on the Czech wiki http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomov%C3%A1_pr%C3%A1ce)

      MBC: FWIW Česko-anglický pedagogický slovnik by Jan Průcha suggests thesis for diplomová práce and dissertation for disertační práce. No entry for bakalářksá práce, but you will find that here: http://www.fm.tul.cz/dokgrant/cs/data/slovnicek_ak_pojmu.pdf

    • Mgr. Pavlina Vrabcova
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
        Don't you like

        "diploma thesis" for "diplomova praca"?

        S pozdravom

        Mgr. Pavl�na Vrabcov�

[...]

        MBC: FWIW Česko-anglick� pedagogick� slovnik by Jan Průcha
        suggests thesis for diplomov� pr�ce and dissertation for disertačn�
        pr�ce. No entry for bakal�řks� pr�ce, but you will find that here:
        http://www.fm.tul.cz/dokgrant/cs/data/slovnicek_ak_pojmu.pdf

      • Petr
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
          Ja s tim takhle souhlasim. Disertace jsou ovsem take docentske. Co s tim? Myslim, ze "docent" je v anglictine jeste mene ustaleny nez ty prace.
          Petr Adamek

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
            In the US:

            bakalarska prace = bachelor's thesis (except that it is relatively unheard of to have to complete one)

            diplomova prace = master's thesis (only since we assume a university diploma in Europe to be the equivalent of a master's degree -- "at LEAST!" (as my Italian prof used to add)

            disertacni prace = doctoral thesis

            Where it's not clear what the degree issued will be, "diplomova prace" is "final thesis".

            Jamie

            On Apr 26, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Melvyn wrote:

            > A query from our FB contingent. Any preferences?
            >
            > Am i right in my interpretation of the following?
            >
            > bakalarksa prace = bachelor's thesis
            > diplomova prace = master's thesis
            > disertacni prace = doctoral dissertation/thesis
            >

            > MBC: I beleve usage varies from place to place: "In some countries/universities, the word "thesis" or a cognate is used as part of a bachelor's or master's course, while "dissertation" is normally applied to a doctorate, while in others, the reverse is true". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis e.g. at UCL in London (University of London in my day) they normally referred to a bachelor's dissertation and I find this is often the case at English universities, but things are probably different elsewhere. In your shoes I would first check out which university this applies to and then follow usage there.
            >
            > V: thanks - this is an abstract for a "diplomova prace" from some unknown Czech university - no clue as to which one - aren't the terms used the same across the board throughout all Czech univeristies? (sort of basing this on the Czech wiki http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomov%C3%A1_pr%C3%A1ce)
            >
            > MBC: FWIW Česko-anglicky pedagogicky slovnik by Jan Průcha suggests thesis for diplomova prace and dissertation for disertačni prace. No entry for bakalařksa prace, but you will find that here: http://www.fm.tul.cz/dokgrant/cs/data/slovnicek_ak_pojmu.pdf
            >
            > BR
            >
            > M.

          • mary
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
              My department calls them
              bachelor's diploma thesis = bak. dipl. práce
              master's diploma thesis = mag. dipl. práce
              Maria

              > A query from our FB contingent. Any preferences?
              >
              > Am i right in my interpretation of the following?
              >
              > bakalarksa prace = bachelor's thesis
              > diplomova prace = master's thesis
              > disertacni prace = doctoral dissertation/thesis
              >

              > MBC: I beleve usage varies from place to place: "In some countries/universities, the word "thesis" or a cognate is used as part of a bachelor's or master's course, while "dissertation" is normally applied to a doctorate, while in others, the reverse is true". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis e.g. at UCL in London (University of London in my day) they normally referred to a bachelor's dissertation and I find this is often the case at English universities, but things are probably different elsewhere. In your shoes I would first check out which university this applies to and then follow usage there.
              >
              > V: thanks - this is an abstract for a "diplomova prace" from some unknown Czech university - no clue as to which one - aren't the terms used the same across the board throughout all Czech univeristies? (sort of basing this on the Czech wiki http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomov%C3%A1_pr%C3%A1ce)
              >
              > MBC: FWIW Česko-anglický pedagogický slovnik by Jan Průcha suggests thesis for diplomová práce and dissertation for disertační práce. No entry for bakalářksá práce, but you will find that here: http://www.fm.tul.cz/dokgrant/cs/data/slovnicek_ak_pojmu.pdf
              >
              > BR
              >
              > M.

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 28, 2013
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mgr. Pavlina Vrabcova" <vrabcova@...> wrote:

                > Don't you like
                >
                > "diploma thesis" for "diplomova praca"?

                My impression is that "diploma thesis" is particularly associated with the educational systems in Central and Eastern Europe.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplom

                BR

                Melvyn