[Czechlist] opravneny zajem

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
      I'm translating a manual with an expression I've never run into before.

      The section this came from is about making sure people don't enter the danger zone around a machine. They keep referring to "opravneny zajem", and I can't tell if they mean people, property, people and property, "you're going to have liability problems" or something else. Here is a sample sentence.

      > Oznaceny prostor je pri provozu stroje ohrozeny prostor s vyskytem mozneho ohrozenim opravneneho zajmu.

      I'd be grateful for any help.

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
        Jamie,

        refer to this site for definition. It does make sense.
        http://www.pjpk.cz/vybrane.htm#040

        I have myself never heard of this meaning before.

        Jiri

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
          This sounds odd, Jamie, apart from a few badly-matched endings, which
          may be typos, it doesn§t make much sense..

          Do you have more context - entire paragraph or anything describing the
          machinery, the shop and/or the operation? We may be able to read it
          between the lines then..

          Matej

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
            Thanks, Jiri. I think this covers it. It looks like it's a collective term for everything from personal injury to environmental damage. It's an impersonal way of saying "the company will get into trouble", I guess.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
              Based on the definition Jiri sent me, it pretty much makes sense as meaning anything you can screw up that will get you into trouble.

              Jamie

              On Apr 23, 2013, at 9:20 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

              > This sounds odd, Jamie, apart from a few badly-matched endings, which
              > may be typos, it doesn?t make much sense..
              >
              > Do you have more context - entire paragraph or anything describing the
              > machinery, the shop and/or the operation? We may be able to read it
              > between the lines then..
              >
              > Matej

            • Pilucha, Jiri
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                "anything you can screw up that will get you into trouble"

                ha ha that is a great definition are you going to put it in your translation?

                no, seriously, it might be interesting to know what solution you will come up with in english

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                  I'm having to be more specific based on context. For example, in this case, I'm saying "personal injury or property damage", which is a typical phrase I find in German manuals.

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013