RE: [Czechlist] Axle/axis

  • Sarka Rubkova
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18 8:32 PM
      You question implies that "no" is the answer. How did you come to this
      conclusion?

      sarka

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18 8:43 PM
        Because almost all the TM I get, from every country, in all four languages I work from, refers to a physical axle as an "axis". They call an axis an axis, and they call an axle an axis.

        The TM may be just fine in almost every other way, but they still call an axle an "axis". These are not the kind of bad translators who would translate "sterilizovany hrach" as "sterilized pea", or anything like that.

        This usually happens with translations about machinery, not as much with automotive things, but even in that domain it can happen.

        This is one of two or three words that consistently come out wrong, and I think it may sometimes be because the translator has had little physical exposure to machines and can't visualize them.

        When I worked as a technical proofreader, I often found a similar technical visualization problem with colleagues who were English majors or came from newspapers.

        Jamie

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18 9:22 PM
          This problem is probably caused by the fact that one meaning od an "axle" is
          "osa" in Czech.

          sarka

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18 9:31 PM
            Right. It's the same in German and French. I just expect native English speakers to sense the difference in context, but it seems that few of them do.

            Jamie

            On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:22 AM, Sarka Rubkova wrote:

            > This problem is probably caused by the fact that one meaning od an "axle" is
            > "osa" in Czech.
            >

            > sarka

          • Petr
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19 5:35 AM
              Pletu si hodne veci ale "axle/axis" urcite ne. Ja bych to r^adil mezi rceni typu "pro tebe je dalmacie jako decimalka" nebo "hodinky jako holinky - oboji se natahuje".
              Petr Adamek