Re: [Czechlist] rule by whim

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14 5:14 PM
      They mean regimes that rule impulsively. Regimes that command people to do whatever strikes the potentate's fancy at the moment.

      Think of Woody Allen's old movie Bananas, where the new Latin American dictator suddenly decides the country's official language will be Swedish, and that everyone from that day forward will wear his underwear on the outside.

      Jamie

      On Apr 14, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

      > Would you please help me understand what they mean by "regimes that rule by whim":
      >
      > In places where Islam is the central fact of life, even Muslims who privately dismiss sharia take pains to honor it publicly. Even regimes that rule by whim nod to sharia as the backbone of their legal systems, lace their rhetoric with scriptural alusions, and seek to rationalize their actions as Islamically appropriate.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Jiri

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14 5:25 PM
        (Ha ha, that's a great example. I'll have to revisit those early movies of his, completely forgot about this one)
        Thanks
        Jiri