Re: Names of US laws

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
      They look like GT translations of:

      Code of Federal Regulations
      United States Code

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
        Thanks very much. We have codes of "corrections" here also, but I don't think that's what "uprav" means in this case.

        Jamie

        On Apr 13, 2013, at 6:27 PM, wustpisk wrote:

        > They look like GT translations of:
        >
        > Code of Federal Regulations
        > United States Code

        >> I've got a document here on extradition of a criminal back to the US, and I'm having trouble with the Czech translations of certain US legal codes. Can someone provide any advice?
        >>
        >> Here they are:
        >>
        >> zakonik Spojenych statu
        >> zakonik federalnich uprav
        >>
        >> I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.
        >>
        >> Any thoughts?
        >>
        >> Jamie

      • wustpisk
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
          The CFR corresponds to the Czech Code of Administrative Procedure (spravni rad - 500/2004)

          and the USC should really be 'sbirka zakonu' as that is all the collected laws.

          > Thanks very much. We have codes of "corrections" here also, but I don't think that's what "uprav" means in this case.
          >
          > Jamie
          >
          > On Apr 13, 2013, at 6:27 PM, wustpisk wrote:
          >

          > > They look like GT translations of:
          > >
          > > Code of Federal Regulations
          > > United States Code
          > >
          > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> I've got a document here on extradition of a criminal back to the US, and I'm having trouble with the Czech translations of certain US legal codes. Can someone provide any advice?
          > >>
          > >> Here they are:
          > >>
          > >> zakonik Spojenych statu
          > >> zakonik federalnich uprav
          > >>
          > >> I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.
          > >>
          > >> Any thoughts?
          > >>
          > >> Jamie

        • Michael Trittipo
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
            On or about Saturday, April 13, 2013, 5:27:54 PM, wustpisk wrote:
            > They look like GT translations of:
            > Code of Federal Regulations
            > United States Code

            Seconded (although in the other order, of course), by an erstwhile
            frequent reader and who still sees them referenced in various texts he
            reads every day.

            >> zakonik Spojenych statu // U.S.C.
            >> zakonik federalnich uprav // C.F.R.
            >> I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.

            Ah, now _there_ would be a thread: in the legal realm, what's the
            difference between "translations" and "(maybe vague) equivalents"? I
            remember back when it wasn't settled whether "Zb." should/ought to be
            "Coll." and I had to defend my choice as being "an abbreviation
            familiar to U.S. lawyers, so they'll know how to unabbreviate it and
            -- more importantly -- help a law librarian find the right text."

            Actually, that's serious: I recall reading a book on the subject, and
            a thirty-plus-page treatise on it. In theory, of course, practice is
            always defective. In practice, it usually is fine. In my view, the
            main question is whether one's audience is (a) the lawyer or judge,
            (b) the law librarian who has to find the original for the lawyer or
            judge, or (c) the person on the street.