[Czechlist] Names of US laws

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
      I've got a document here on extradition of a criminal back to the US, and I'm having trouble with the Czech translations of certain US legal codes. Can someone provide any advice?

      Here they are:

      zakonik Spojenych statu
      zakonik federalnich uprav

      I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.

      Any thoughts?

    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
        They look like GT translations of:

        Code of Federal Regulations
        United States Code

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
          Thanks very much. We have codes of "corrections" here also, but I don't think that's what "uprav" means in this case.

          Jamie

          On Apr 13, 2013, at 6:27 PM, wustpisk wrote:

          > They look like GT translations of:
          >
          > Code of Federal Regulations
          > United States Code

          >> I've got a document here on extradition of a criminal back to the US, and I'm having trouble with the Czech translations of certain US legal codes. Can someone provide any advice?
          >>
          >> Here they are:
          >>
          >> zakonik Spojenych statu
          >> zakonik federalnich uprav
          >>
          >> I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.
          >>
          >> Any thoughts?
          >>
          >> Jamie

        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
            The CFR corresponds to the Czech Code of Administrative Procedure (spravni rad - 500/2004)

            and the USC should really be 'sbirka zakonu' as that is all the collected laws.

            > Thanks very much. We have codes of "corrections" here also, but I don't think that's what "uprav" means in this case.
            >
            > Jamie
            >
            > On Apr 13, 2013, at 6:27 PM, wustpisk wrote:
            >

            > > They look like GT translations of:
            > >
            > > Code of Federal Regulations
            > > United States Code
            > >
            > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner <czechlist@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I've got a document here on extradition of a criminal back to the US, and I'm having trouble with the Czech translations of certain US legal codes. Can someone provide any advice?
            > >>
            > >> Here they are:
            > >>
            > >> zakonik Spojenych statu
            > >> zakonik federalnich uprav
            > >>
            > >> I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.
            > >>
            > >> Any thoughts?
            > >>
            > >> Jamie

          • Michael Trittipo
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
              On or about Saturday, April 13, 2013, 5:27:54 PM, wustpisk wrote:
              > They look like GT translations of:
              > Code of Federal Regulations
              > United States Code

              Seconded (although in the other order, of course), by an erstwhile
              frequent reader and who still sees them referenced in various texts he
              reads every day.

              >> zakonik Spojenych statu // U.S.C.
              >> zakonik federalnich uprav // C.F.R.
              >> I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.

              Ah, now _there_ would be a thread: in the legal realm, what's the
              difference between "translations" and "(maybe vague) equivalents"? I
              remember back when it wasn't settled whether "Zb." should/ought to be
              "Coll." and I had to defend my choice as being "an abbreviation
              familiar to U.S. lawyers, so they'll know how to unabbreviate it and
              -- more importantly -- help a law librarian find the right text."

              Actually, that's serious: I recall reading a book on the subject, and
              a thirty-plus-page treatise on it. In theory, of course, practice is
              always defective. In practice, it usually is fine. In my view, the
              main question is whether one's audience is (a) the lawyer or judge,
              (b) the law librarian who has to find the original for the lawyer or
              judge, or (c) the person on the street.