Re: [Czechlist] COOKING: Which type of flour?

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
      Here my mother also made those pies with all-purpose flour.

      Jamie

      On Apr 7, 2013, at 4:13 PM, Zuzana Benesova wrote:

      > Ji Jirka,
      >
      > I'm obvoisly not an expat but I make my apple (and other) pies (using US recipes) with hladka mouka, invariably, and they are always a big success. In my expience, the all purpose flour sold in UK is the same as hladka mouka, I have never seen anything resembling polohruba or hruba in UK. I suppose US has the same all purpose flour, but not sure. Anyhow, hladka does work just fine.
      >
      > Great pie tutorial here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/pams-pie-tutorial/
      >
      > Good luck with your baking!
      > Zuzka
      >
      > 7. 4. 2013 v 13:51, Jirka Bolech:
      >
      >> Hi English-speaking expacts and ex-expats in the Czech Republic:
      >>
      >> Making an apple pie or suchlike sourcing your ingredients in the Czech Republic, which type of flour will you put in, hladka mouka or polohruba mouka, to make it resemble your creation back at home? I suppose it's hladka mouka but can you confirm, someone? Thanks...
      >>
      >> Jirka Bolech

    • Valerie Talacko
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
        I use hladka for everything except for cut-out biscuits, pieces for
        gingerbread houses etc., which I find keep their shape better with
        polohruba.

        Valerie

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2013
          Thanks everyone for your cooking responses. I suppose hladka mouka will
          provide consistency that makes the pastry easier to work with than
          pologhruba mouka would.

          I mainly asked because polohruba mouka is generally used to make all
          kinds of cookies whereas hladka mouka is for bread and most of any other
          cooking applications except knedliky, which are predominantely of hruba
          mouka...