Re: [Czechlist] COOKING: Which type of flour?

  • Zuzana Benesova
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
      Ji Jirka,

      I'm obvoisly not an expat but I make my apple (and other) pies (using US recipes) with hladka mouka, invariably, and they are always a big success. In my expience, the all purpose flour sold in UK is the same as hladka mouka, I have never seen anything resembling polohruba or hruba in UK. I suppose US has the same all purpose flour, but not sure. Anyhow, hladka does work just fine.

      Great pie tutorial here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/pams-pie-tutorial/

      Good luck with your baking!
      Zuzka

      7. 4. 2013 v 13:51, Jirka Bolech:

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
        Here my mother also made those pies with all-purpose flour.

        Jamie

        On Apr 7, 2013, at 4:13 PM, Zuzana Benesova wrote:

        > Ji Jirka,
        >
        > I'm obvoisly not an expat but I make my apple (and other) pies (using US recipes) with hladka mouka, invariably, and they are always a big success. In my expience, the all purpose flour sold in UK is the same as hladka mouka, I have never seen anything resembling polohruba or hruba in UK. I suppose US has the same all purpose flour, but not sure. Anyhow, hladka does work just fine.
        >
        > Great pie tutorial here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/pams-pie-tutorial/
        >
        > Good luck with your baking!
        > Zuzka
        >
        > 7. 4. 2013 v 13:51, Jirka Bolech:
        >
        >> Hi English-speaking expacts and ex-expats in the Czech Republic:
        >>
        >> Making an apple pie or suchlike sourcing your ingredients in the Czech Republic, which type of flour will you put in, hladka mouka or polohruba mouka, to make it resemble your creation back at home? I suppose it's hladka mouka but can you confirm, someone? Thanks...
        >>
        >> Jirka Bolech

      • Valerie Talacko
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
          I use hladka for everything except for cut-out biscuits, pieces for
          gingerbread houses etc., which I find keep their shape better with
          polohruba.

          Valerie

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2013
            Thanks everyone for your cooking responses. I suppose hladka mouka will
            provide consistency that makes the pastry easier to work with than
            pologhruba mouka would.

            I mainly asked because polohruba mouka is generally used to make all
            kinds of cookies whereas hladka mouka is for bread and most of any other
            cooking applications except knedliky, which are predominantely of hruba
            mouka...