Non-cooking celebrity chef...

  • Charles Stanford
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7 1:26 AM
      Can someone give me some inspiration please.... I am translating some
      horrible marketing thing for one of those television advertising channels
      (it's actually in German but I don't want to post it on ProZ and it is more
      that I cannot find the right word in English). They talk about a
      "Kuchenexperte aus zahlreichen TV-shows" - i.e. literally a "kitchen expert
      from numerous TV-shows". I was going to call him a "top celebrity chef" but
      now am not so sure because he doesn't seem to be famous for actually
      cooking things - he is more one of those people who advertise the latest
      gimmick for chopping up vegetables. I don't want to use "kitchen expert"
      and am now in a bit of a funk. Any ideas please? What are these people
      known as?
      Thank you.
      Charlie

    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7 1:55 AM
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:
        > "Kuchenexperte aus zahlreichen TV-shows" - i.e. literally a "kitchen expert
        > from numerous TV-shows".

        TV cuisine connoisseur/ cognoscente / critic / aficionado / grandmaster / maven / fiend / expert / guru / boffin / buff / enthusiast /go-to man...

        or TV gourmet? TV food freak? TV foody?

        Reminds me, we were talking about "food porn" on FB Czechlist and one character came up with jidlo k pomilovani, sexy jidlo or rajcovni jidlo, dlabanec, papanicko, futr, zvanec, pochutina, zradlo apod. Top notch stuff, eh?

        BR

        Melvyn
      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7 2:18 AM
          You could use culinary instead of cuisine. If it is very downmarket perhaps you could call him a wizard or maestro.

          BR

          Melvyn

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford <charliestanfordtranslations@> wrote:
          > > "Kuchenexperte aus zahlreichen TV-shows" - i.e. literally a "kitchen expert
          > > from numerous TV-shows".
        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7 4:37 AM
            TV culinary star Gordon Ramsay

            or lots of hits for TV culinary personality.

            I am obviously in the wrong job.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7 6:44 AM
              Those people who advertise the latest kitchen gadgets are called "pitch men" in the US. It's a profession with a long history and is often passed down from one generation to the next. Most of them gain their experience on the street in heavily frequented tourist areas before they show up on TV.

              I don't see anything wrong with using "kitchen expert", since he's obviously not a cooking expert. I'll bet you could even get away with "cooking celebrity", "kitchen celebrity" or even "food celebrity". These would mean he is famous, he has something to do with food or the kitchen, but he isn't necessarily skilled at anything.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8 8:56 AM
                Sorry to have been rude and not thanked you all before for your input on
                the non-cooking celebrity chef - much appreciated