RE: [Czechlist] "ain't" reversed

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2013
      Jamie, Thanks a lot

      Jiri

      From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of James Kirchner
      Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:08 AM
      To: czechlist@...
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] "ain't" reversed

      The way you wrote it is how it would be done if people spoke that way. However, people who say "ain't" usually won't use a fully developed tag question. Instead they would say something like:

      "It ain't that bad, eh?"
      "It ain't that bad, huh?"
      "It ain't that bad, right?"

      The first two can be said with rising intonation if the speaker doesn't know if the person will agree or falling intonation of the speaker expects the person to agree.

      Jamie