"ain't" reversed

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5 6:28 PM
      Hi,

      When using "ain't" in a sentence that would otherwise read, for instance, "It isn't that bad, is it?", what happens with the "is it?" part?
      Presumable nothing, correct?
      "It ain't that bad, is it"
      Inconsistent as it may seem, I can't think of any other option

      Thanks
      Jir

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 8:07 PM
        The way you wrote it is how it would be done if people spoke that way. However, people who say "ain't" usually won't use a fully developed tag question. Instead they would say something like:

        "It ain't that bad, eh?"
        "It ain't that bad, huh?"
        "It ain't that bad, right?"

        The first two can be said with rising intonation if the speaker doesn't know if the person will agree or falling intonation of the speaker expects the person to agree.

        Jamie

        On Apr 5, 2013, at 9:28 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > When using "ain't" in a sentence that would otherwise read, for instance, "It isn't that bad, is it?", what happens with the "is it?" part?
        > Presumable nothing, correct?
        > "It ain't that bad, is it"
        > Inconsistent as it may seem, I can't think of any other option
        >
        > Thanks
        > Jir

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6 3:08 AM