Re: [Czechlist] Finger food

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
      I think the meaning of "gig" must have expanded on your side of the ocean, because here the audience definitely doesn't call it a gig, as far as I know.

      Symphony musicians here refer to their jobs as gigs just the way jazz or rock musicians would, but this doesn't penetrate the wall into the terminology used by the audience. If she's talking to me or her musician friends, she'll say she's doing a gig, but to an outsider she might say she's playing a concert.

      Jamie

    • Kent Christopher Kasha
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
        In Canada when you say you are going to a gig then it is understood that you
        are going to be one of the musicians playing. It doesn't necessarily have to
        be a job, though it usually is. I played a lot of gigs where I wasn't paid a
        cent (in the best cases I didn't have to pay for the beer I drank). And it
        doesn't have to even mean there is a performance involved. Making an album
        as a session musician is just as much a gig as playing on a smokey jazz club
        stage.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
          That's how we use it.

          Jamie

          On Apr 4, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

          > In Canada when you say you are going to a gig then it is understood that you
          > are going to be one of the musicians playing. It doesn't necessarily have to
          > be a job, though it usually is. I played a lot of gigs where I wasn't paid a
          > cent (in the best cases I didn't have to pay for the beer I drank). And it
          > doesn't have to even mean there is a performance involved. Making an album
          > as a session musician is just as much a gig as playing on a smokey jazz club
          > stage.

        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
            http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7UIjVGcSe8MC&pg=PA288&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false