Re: Finger food

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
      It depends on how cultured you are, I suppose.

      First take the test http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

      and then decide whether you want to call them finger foods, canapes, hors d'oeuvres, light snacks, antipasti, amuse-bouche, whatever.

      I agree that 'finger foods' sounds very slightly odd, but it wouldn't cause me to complain.
      Personally I would plump for canapes, but even that conjures up an image of Delboy Trotter bringing in a tray of jam sarnies.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
        The survey ranked me as "Established Middle Class", which was the class right below "Elite". But, of course, this is in the mentality of a nation that's hyper-sensitive to social class or even the mention of it. I've mentioned socio-economic class from the American point of view, as something that just exists, doesn't make people better or worse and that people routinely move in or out of, and had Brits freak out as if I were mentioning something obscene. It took me a while to figure out why they were sensitive.

        I didn't understand what "go to gigs" meant, because a gig is a job, or more specifically a job a musician is hired for. When my sister plays, it's a gig to her, but it's a symphony concert to the attendees.

        Thank you for the suggestions, Gerry.

        Jamie

        On Apr 4, 2013, at 7:27 AM, wustpisk wrote:

        > It depends on how cultured you are, I suppose.
        >
        > First take the test http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973
        >
        > and then decide whether you want to call them finger foods, canapes, hors d'oeuvres, light snacks, antipasti, amuse-bouche, whatever.
        >
        > I agree that 'finger foods' sounds very slightly odd, but it wouldn't cause me to complain.
        > Personally I would plump for canapes, but even that conjures up an image of Delboy Trotter bringing in a tray of jam sarnies.

        >> There must be a cultural thing going on here, because I have never understood hors d'oeuvres to be part of a meal. I see that understanding of them in Wikipedia, but what, then, do I make of situations like receptions where you have people walking around with trays of hors d'oeuvres and there's no meal being served? We would never refer to classy little delectables like that as "finger food", because it still conjures the image of babies eating goldfish crackers or, worse yet, of people fingering food.
        >>
        >> If I look up "finger food" in Wikipedia, they say that in the Western world finger foods are often hors d'oeuvres. Then it shows an image of someone carrying a tray around and serving what we would call hors d'oeuvres. What's more, the article says that typical Ethiopian dishes are "finger foods", but I definitely wouldn't think of them in that category. They would be something like "food eaten with the hands". Under the definition, fried chicken would be finger food in the United States, but that's too substantial to be finger food.
        >>
        >> I wonder if there's another alternative.
        >>
        >> Jamie
        >>
        >> On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:26 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:
        >>
        >>> I would stick with finger food for this, because hors d'oeuvres are usually part of a meal and aren't necessarily eaten with the fingers, whereas finger food is indeed very commonly used for buffet food etc. that's eaten with the fingers. Some of them might be canapes, but that's pretty specific and they may be talking more about little sandwiches.
        >>>
        >>> I think it's clear from the context that it's not referring to the kind of finger food given to babies - that use of the term is fairly context-specific, e.g. when used in parenting books talking about the weaning process. By the time they're over about 14 months it's not really even referred to as finger food, just food. And I think from the context it would also probably be reasonably clear that they're not talking about cheese puffs :) although there could be a crisp (chip) or peanut or two.
        >>>
        >>> Valerie

      • (no author)
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
          You'll probably go on another 'no one this side of Atlantic
          says/understand this' trip, Jamie, but AFAIK gig is a musical
          event/performance from both the audience's and the performer's point of
          view in Brit Eng..

          So a musician has a gig at this or that place.. a music fan goes to
          gigs, is going to this or that gig, etc. Not sure if I ever heard it
          used for fans in the US (live or in media), so not going to argue with
          you, in fact, not going to argue with you period, but come on it's not
          that difficult to *suss out*, is it?

          And BTW gigs do not normally apply to symphony concerts (at least on
          the audience side, must be a class thing..)

          Sorry, couldn't resist * * :)

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
            I think the meaning of "gig" must have expanded on your side of the ocean, because here the audience definitely doesn't call it a gig, as far as I know.

            Symphony musicians here refer to their jobs as gigs just the way jazz or rock musicians would, but this doesn't penetrate the wall into the terminology used by the audience. If she's talking to me or her musician friends, she'll say she's doing a gig, but to an outsider she might say she's playing a concert.

            Jamie

          • Kent Christopher Kasha
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
              In Canada when you say you are going to a gig then it is understood that you
              are going to be one of the musicians playing. It doesn't necessarily have to
              be a job, though it usually is. I played a lot of gigs where I wasn't paid a
              cent (in the best cases I didn't have to pay for the beer I drank). And it
              doesn't have to even mean there is a performance involved. Making an album
              as a session musician is just as much a gig as playing on a smokey jazz club
              stage.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
                That's how we use it.

                Jamie

                On Apr 4, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

                > In Canada when you say you are going to a gig then it is understood that you
                > are going to be one of the musicians playing. It doesn't necessarily have to
                > be a job, though it usually is. I played a lot of gigs where I wasn't paid a
                > cent (in the best cases I didn't have to pay for the beer I drank). And it
                > doesn't have to even mean there is a performance involved. Making an album
                > as a session musician is just as much a gig as playing on a smokey jazz club
                > stage.

              • wustpisk
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2013
                  http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7UIjVGcSe8MC&pg=PA288&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false