Re: [Czechlist] unclear sentence

    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 30 12:17 PM
      > "no less well-suited for the times" = o nic mene se nehodil [ten
      projekt] do te doby

      Samozrejme chyba! Ten zapor, "nehodil", jsem si vymyslel.

      > "for being so palpably quixotic:" = tim ze byl tak zjevne neprakticky
      (idealisticky)...

      Takze "tim ze" je potreba take obratit na "presto ze". Melvyn je
      spolehlivejsi nez ja...

    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 30 4:01 PM
        On or about Saturday, March 30, 2013, 12:38:29 PM, Jiri wrote:
        > "No less well suited" than what? It's perhaps the part "for
        > being..." that confuses me. I don't see how it connects to the rest.
        > Would you please re-tell the sentence in a more simple way for me

        > Never before had there been preached a message of personal
        > responsibility quite so radical, so democratic, or so potentially
        > wide-reaching in its appeal. Christian thinkers, in their struggle
        > to define the principles of their faith, were engaged in a project
        > **no less well-suited to the times for being so palpably quixotic:**
        > the fathoming of the purposes of God in an ever more globalised world.

        Melvyn's already answered, and I agree, and write just to offer an
        alternative rephrasing, that still works out the same.

        The sentence could be rewritten as:
        "... in a project that, despite being so palpably quixotic, was
        nevertheless well-suited to the times."

        "was no less ADJ for X" means "despite X, was nevertheless still ADJ"