RE: [Czechlist] Re: unclear sentence

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 30, 2013
      I see...Thanks a lot
      Jiri

      From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Czechlist@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Melvyn
      Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:20 PM
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: unclear sentence

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...<mailto:jiri.pilucha@...>> wrote:

      > Never before had there been preached a message of personal responsibility quite so radical, so democratic, or so potentially wide-reaching in its appeal. Christian thinkers, in their struggle to define the principles of their faith, were engaged in a project **no less well-suited to the times for being so palpably quixotic:**

      Although the project was palpably quixotic, this did not diminish its suitability...

      or

      Despite the palpable quixoticness of the project, it was still suited to the times.

      There is a structure using "for (all)" which means something like "regardless of", "in spite of" or "notwithstanding". Check out "for all its simplicity" at the beginning of sentences on Google for similar examples.

      BR

      Melvyn

    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 30, 2013
        On or about Saturday, March 30, 2013, 12:38:29 PM, Jiri wrote:
        > "No less well suited" than what? It's perhaps the part "for
        > being..." that confuses me. I don't see how it connects to the rest.
        > Would you please re-tell the sentence in a more simple way for me

        > Never before had there been preached a message of personal
        > responsibility quite so radical, so democratic, or so potentially
        > wide-reaching in its appeal. Christian thinkers, in their struggle
        > to define the principles of their faith, were engaged in a project
        > **no less well-suited to the times for being so palpably quixotic:**
        > the fathoming of the purposes of God in an ever more globalised world.

        Melvyn's already answered, and I agree, and write just to offer an
        alternative rephrasing, that still works out the same.

        The sentence could be rewritten as:
        "... in a project that, despite being so palpably quixotic, was
        nevertheless well-suited to the times."

        "was no less ADJ for X" means "despite X, was nevertheless still ADJ"