Re: [Czechlist] Re: Professional opportunity

  • Foren - Helga
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 22, 2013
      Right, some of the information I would like to know is actually on the
      website (even though kind of hidden).
      True is also, that I believed my statement regarding the "prominent
      placement" of such information is contained in all legislations (of
      "advanced" countries) to be true. Well, as I found out, it actually is
      only for the EU (EU legislation) and some other countries. In the US
      this is "only" a "should be", even though more or less all "advanced"
      companies do have this information on a "prominent place" on their
      websites (usually in the footer of each and every page of their website).
      Since you reside in the UK, I probably do not need to say, that even
      there such info has to be placed "prominently". Here´s
      http://www.northstar-website-design.com/resources/website_regulations.html
      some reading material in this regard.

      The comment, that I probably did not research well enough puzzles me!
      The company might want me, the translator, or me, the client, and does
      not bother providing me with the most essential company details in a way
      that I can find them immediately, within 20 seconds after landing on
      their website?!
      So it takes only two clicks? Fine, actually three, but ONLY if I know
      where to look for them! And, frankly spoken, under the tag "Contact
      Support" I understand the contact details for Support, not the Company
      Details as such.

      Further, why on earth would I look the company up on ProZ? I have no
      intention to work with them! I was only curious after the first harsh
      comment from your side. So I wanted to see myself what is and what is
      not on that site.

      Mr. Prochazka, even though I firmly believe that you are only trying to
      defend the name and position of Gengo, I still think it might be a good
      idea to look at the issue from an outside perspective, and re-evaluate
      your statements.

      Best, Helga

      Am 22.03.2013 01:12, schrieb Vít Procházka:

> [...]
      > reconsider.
      > I am merely asking at this point, because I used to believe that
      > freelancers are polite
      > professionals who strive to be objective, accurate and respectful.
      > At Tomas
      > and James: I take you criticism to the heart, as there is some merit
      > to it. We
      > do, indeed, use crowd-sourcing (and it is a cost-effective solution).
      > As for
      > the pricing, due to the fact that we do have some demands on quality
      > and we do
      > indeed try to snag some professional translators, as opposed to only
      > “kids and bilingual
      > chit-chat ladies”, you are fully entitled to criticize our rates.
      > But please
      > consider this:
      > As you are
      > professionals, I am not addressing you for the Standard but for the
      > Pro level
      > (0,08 USD per word for the translator). Please consider that
      > proz.com´s Average rates reported
      > by language pair clearly state 0,11 USD per word for the EN-CZ pair,
      > Standard rate,
      > 0,08 USD per word, Minimum rate. So we are minimum, alright. The
      > company avoids
      > highly specialized texts (such as technical, legal and medical
      > translation), so
      > even the Pro level of the translation is probably somewhat easier than
      > your regular
      > work. The jobs are posted on the web interface, with email
      > notifications, and
      > in case you are interested, you simply snatch them there (or not) -
      > gone is the
      > interpersonal need to accept the job, lest the Project Manager never
      > contacts
      > you again in the future. Payment is every 15 days, which is an
      > improvement on
      > the average 30-45. The jobs are often very short and you can pick a
      > volume which
      > suits you. These facts make it an easy, flexible work without much of
      > a need
      > for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your
      > idle time
      > that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger
      > contracts.
      > It might be
      > that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive
      > income high
      > above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
      > poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
      > But there
      > might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
      > agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized
      > texts 45
      > days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they
      > get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.

    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
        I have to say that I have not received Mr. Procházka’s mail at all. When I looked for it I found that my spam firewall put it (probably very rightly) into the spam box.

        Besides, Mr. Procházka, this isn’t basically a public forum as you believe

        s.

> [...]

        > for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your
        > idle time
        > that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger
        > contracts.
        > It might be
        > that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive
        > income high
        > above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
        > poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
        > But there
        > might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
        > agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized
        > texts 45
        > days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they
        > get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.

      • Jakub Skrebsky
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
          In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
          Q – Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
          A – No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.

          Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
          Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?

          Jakub
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
            I think it's supposed to mean "to throw away nicely", i.e. not into the
            bin, but into wherever you're supposed to put spent ink cartridges so
            that elves can disassemble them to primary components and make shiny
            new things out of them..

            Recycled does mean to be used again, but usually after being
            disassembled and re-used as melted/repocessed, IMHO.. it certainly does
            in this case.

            And of course the manufacturer will tell you to throw away everything
            and go and buy it brand new (original only)..

            >In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
            >Q – Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
            >A – No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.
            >
            >Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
            >Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?
            >
            >Jakub

            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >

            >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Valerie Talacko
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
              I agree - it doesn't mean "to be used again in the same form", it's
              just a reminder that there are facilities for recycling them.

              e.g.
              http://h30248.www3.hp.com/recycle/supplies/index-cs.asp?__cc=us&__la=en

              Valerie

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                To use again would be "reuse".

                "Recycle" is what the other people said it is. It's sending the container to a facility for its components to be reclaimed.

                Jamie

                On Mar 23, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Jakub Skrebsky wrote:

                > In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
                > Q - Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
                > A - No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.
                >
                > Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
                > Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?
                >
                > Jakub

              • Petr
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                  Ja bych uvazoval i o moznosti, ze se prazdna cartidge da znovu naplnit od profesionalu nebo odevzda k renovaci.
                  Petr Adamek

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                    Not in this case.. see the Q and the A..

                    I'm sure it is possible, but the thing the manufacturer is trying to
                    convey is throw away as often as possible and buy new from US... and as
                    long as we are translating a manual/website as opposed to stirring up a
                    revolution, we should convey the intended meaning..
                    After all, this is standard practice, one step more user-friendly and
                    less unethical than installing a kurvi'tko/fuck-up device (see Wiki)
                    IMHO..

                    Users that are not complete morons will know you can actually have ink
                    cartridges refilled and will do their own thing... but AFAICR refilling
                    ink cartridges is a messy business and they often dry up once
                    opened/tampered with (as will the unused inks) - maybe the technology
                    changed dramatically, but I remember having to do all sorts of tricks
                    to get things going when I had an ink printer back in my pro-photo
                    days.. both colour and B&W lasers are so cheap now that an ink printer
                    only makes sense for a highly specialised and very consistent and
                    frequent use these days, IMHO..

                    ... Got a bit distracted there, but the message definitely is that (as
                    far as the text in question is concerned) the cartridges are only good
                    for throwing away once they run out of ink (and they probably run out
                    of ink sooner than they'd have to)..

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                      I switched to refilled ink cartridges because of the expense of new ones from the manufacturer. They came from a "reputable" company and smelled different but worked fine until they ate away my printer's ink nozzles.

                      Jamie