Re: [Czechlist] Professional opportunity

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 22, 2013
      Yes, in fact you're right. Not all spam has to be opt-in in the US, but there has to be a clear opt-out mechanism, and there is an indicia you have to include at the bottom of the e-mail. Nonetheless, the amount of spam I receive from inside the US is quite small, possibly because an e-mail sent to an unknown person is what in sales is called a "cold lead", and companies would rather focus on "qualified leads", which in this case would be people who have shown interest in their services and have opted in to receive e-mails. So this is apparently another thing that the market takes care of.

      The only time US law requires that you receive the recipient's permission before sending an e-mail seems to be when you want to make contact with a potential mail-order bride from a website. There have been a lot of crimes involving such women -- very many of them perpetrated by the defective American husband against the foreign woman -- and Congress decided to make it harder to contact the woman. A lot of "bride" websites moved off shore for that reason, from what I have read.

      Jamie

      On Mar 22, 2013, at 2:09 PM, Josef Hlavac wrote:

      > By the way, it's interesting to see that you consider US spam laws "strict". I might be wrong but I believe that you can actually spam as much as you like in the US, you just have to provide a simple and functional opt-out mechanism and perhaps real company contact details in each spam message. In CZ, you first have to obtain the recipient's permission before you can send them any unsolicited marketing mails. Now that's what I'd call strict... (of course, actual enforcement is a totally different chapter).

    • Foren - Helga
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 22, 2013
        Right, some of the information I would like to know is actually on the
        website (even though kind of hidden).
        True is also, that I believed my statement regarding the "prominent
        placement" of such information is contained in all legislations (of
        "advanced" countries) to be true. Well, as I found out, it actually is
        only for the EU (EU legislation) and some other countries. In the US
        this is "only" a "should be", even though more or less all "advanced"
        companies do have this information on a "prominent place" on their
        websites (usually in the footer of each and every page of their website).
        Since you reside in the UK, I probably do not need to say, that even
        there such info has to be placed "prominently". Here´s
        http://www.northstar-website-design.com/resources/website_regulations.html
        some reading material in this regard.

        The comment, that I probably did not research well enough puzzles me!
        The company might want me, the translator, or me, the client, and does
        not bother providing me with the most essential company details in a way
        that I can find them immediately, within 20 seconds after landing on
        their website?!
        So it takes only two clicks? Fine, actually three, but ONLY if I know
        where to look for them! And, frankly spoken, under the tag "Contact
        Support" I understand the contact details for Support, not the Company
        Details as such.

        Further, why on earth would I look the company up on ProZ? I have no
        intention to work with them! I was only curious after the first harsh
        comment from your side. So I wanted to see myself what is and what is
        not on that site.

        Mr. Prochazka, even though I firmly believe that you are only trying to
        defend the name and position of Gengo, I still think it might be a good
        idea to look at the issue from an outside perspective, and re-evaluate
        your statements.

        Best, Helga

        Am 22.03.2013 01:12, schrieb Vít Procházka:

> [...]
        > reconsider.
        > I am merely asking at this point, because I used to believe that
        > freelancers are polite
        > professionals who strive to be objective, accurate and respectful.
        > At Tomas
        > and James: I take you criticism to the heart, as there is some merit
        > to it. We
        > do, indeed, use crowd-sourcing (and it is a cost-effective solution).
        > As for
        > the pricing, due to the fact that we do have some demands on quality
        > and we do
        > indeed try to snag some professional translators, as opposed to only
        > “kids and bilingual
        > chit-chat ladies”, you are fully entitled to criticize our rates.
        > But please
        > consider this:
        > As you are
        > professionals, I am not addressing you for the Standard but for the
        > Pro level
        > (0,08 USD per word for the translator). Please consider that
        > proz.com´s Average rates reported
        > by language pair clearly state 0,11 USD per word for the EN-CZ pair,
        > Standard rate,
        > 0,08 USD per word, Minimum rate. So we are minimum, alright. The
        > company avoids
        > highly specialized texts (such as technical, legal and medical
        > translation), so
        > even the Pro level of the translation is probably somewhat easier than
        > your regular
        > work. The jobs are posted on the web interface, with email
        > notifications, and
        > in case you are interested, you simply snatch them there (or not) -
        > gone is the
        > interpersonal need to accept the job, lest the Project Manager never
        > contacts
        > you again in the future. Payment is every 15 days, which is an
        > improvement on
        > the average 30-45. The jobs are often very short and you can pick a
        > volume which
        > suits you. These facts make it an easy, flexible work without much of
        > a need
        > for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your
        > idle time
        > that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger
        > contracts.
        > It might be
        > that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive
        > income high
        > above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
        > poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
        > But there
        > might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
        > agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized
        > texts 45
        > days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they
        > get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.

      • Sarka Rubkova
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
          I have to say that I have not received Mr. Procházka’s mail at all. When I looked for it I found that my spam firewall put it (probably very rightly) into the spam box.

          Besides, Mr. Procházka, this isn’t basically a public forum as you believe

          s.

> [...]

          > for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your
          > idle time
          > that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger
          > contracts.
          > It might be
          > that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive
          > income high
          > above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
          > poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
          > But there
          > might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
          > agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized
          > texts 45
          > days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they
          > get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.

        • Jakub Skrebsky
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
            In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
            Q – Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
            A – No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.

            Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
            Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?

            Jakub
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
              I think it's supposed to mean "to throw away nicely", i.e. not into the
              bin, but into wherever you're supposed to put spent ink cartridges so
              that elves can disassemble them to primary components and make shiny
              new things out of them..

              Recycled does mean to be used again, but usually after being
              disassembled and re-used as melted/repocessed, IMHO.. it certainly does
              in this case.

              And of course the manufacturer will tell you to throw away everything
              and go and buy it brand new (original only)..

              >In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
              >Q – Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
              >A – No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.
              >
              >Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
              >Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?
              >
              >Jakub

              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >

              >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Valerie Talacko
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                I agree - it doesn't mean "to be used again in the same form", it's
                just a reminder that there are facilities for recycling them.

                e.g.
                http://h30248.www3.hp.com/recycle/supplies/index-cs.asp?__cc=us&__la=en

                Valerie

                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                  To use again would be "reuse".

                  "Recycle" is what the other people said it is. It's sending the container to a facility for its components to be reclaimed.

                  Jamie

                  On Mar 23, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Jakub Skrebsky wrote:

                  > In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
                  > Q - Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
                  > A - No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.
                  >
                  > Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
                  > Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?
                  >
                  > Jakub

                • Petr
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                    Ja bych uvazoval i o moznosti, ze se prazdna cartidge da znovu naplnit od profesionalu nebo odevzda k renovaci.
                    Petr Adamek

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                      Not in this case.. see the Q and the A..

                      I'm sure it is possible, but the thing the manufacturer is trying to
                      convey is throw away as often as possible and buy new from US... and as
                      long as we are translating a manual/website as opposed to stirring up a
                      revolution, we should convey the intended meaning..
                      After all, this is standard practice, one step more user-friendly and
                      less unethical than installing a kurvi'tko/fuck-up device (see Wiki)
                      IMHO..

                      Users that are not complete morons will know you can actually have ink
                      cartridges refilled and will do their own thing... but AFAICR refilling
                      ink cartridges is a messy business and they often dry up once
                      opened/tampered with (as will the unused inks) - maybe the technology
                      changed dramatically, but I remember having to do all sorts of tricks
                      to get things going when I had an ink printer back in my pro-photo
                      days.. both colour and B&W lasers are so cheap now that an ink printer
                      only makes sense for a highly specialised and very consistent and
                      frequent use these days, IMHO..

                      ... Got a bit distracted there, but the message definitely is that (as
                      far as the text in question is concerned) the cartridges are only good
                      for throwing away once they run out of ink (and they probably run out
                      of ink sooner than they'd have to)..

                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 23, 2013
                        I switched to refilled ink cartridges because of the expense of new ones from the manufacturer. They came from a "reputable" company and smelled different but worked fine until they ate away my printer's ink nozzles.

                        Jamie