Professional opportunity

  • prochazka.translations
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 21 10:17 AM
      Dear fellow translators,

      I would like to contribute some value to this group by offering a professional/translation opportunity!

      I have been recently entrusted with the task of building and managing an EN-CZ language pair for Gengo (www.gengo.com) and we're trying to acquire some new translators before we open the pair.

      From my test-checking experience so far, only 10 % of applicants accurately and naturally convey the meaning of the English original with minimal grammatical errors. This has clearly shown me that a decent translator is a rare thing indeed!

      If you feel up to the challenge, we'd love for you to take our test. Make sure you understand the minimum quality expectations as well as working terms and conditions outlined here:

      http://gengo.com/translator-team/become-a-translator/

      I look forward to our future cooperation!

      Vít Procházka
      Gengo Senior Translator
    • Tomas Mosler
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 21 1:06 PM
        Dear Mr. Prochazka,

        If you or your company charge $0.06 per a word to the end customer (in case of Standard translation), I wonder what "best rate" are you expecting to pay to the translator.

        A decent translator might indeed be a rare thing if the rates are less than decent.

        Best regards
        Tomas Mosler

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "prochazka.translations" <prochazka.translations@...> wrote:

        > Dear fellow translators,
        >
        > I would like to contribute some value to this group by offering a professional/translation opportunity!
        >
        > I have been recently entrusted with the task of building and managing an EN-CZ language pair for Gengo (www.gengo.com) and we're trying to acquire some new translators before we open the pair.
        >
        > From my test-checking experience so far, only 10 % of applicants accurately and naturally convey the meaning of the English original with minimal grammatical errors. This has clearly shown me that a decent translator is a rare thing indeed!
        >
        > If you feel up to the challenge, we'd love for you to take our test. Make sure you understand the minimum quality expectations as well as working terms and conditions outlined here:
        >
        > http://gengo.com/translator-team/become-a-translator/
        >
        > I look forward to our future cooperation!
        >
        > Vít Procházka
        > Gengo Senior Translator
      • Foren - Helga
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 21 1:35 PM
          Good evening,

          in addition to what Tomas already said, I would like to add that after
          browsing through Gengo Website I would not at all feel comfortable
          submitting any of my data. This especially because I was not able to
          find any verifiable company information on your website.
          IMHO the least a reputable company would, and is actually by the laws of
          any civilized country required to, disclose are
          a) full postal and physical address of the company
          b) details regarding the company registration (Companies Register,
          Registration Number)

          Therefore I regard Gengo as suspicious and would not even think of doing
          business with them.

          Best, Helga

          Am 21.03.2013 21:06, schrieb Tomas Mosler:

          > Dear Mr. Prochazka,
          >
          > If you or your company charge $0.06 per a word to the end customer (in
          > case of Standard translation), I wonder what "best rate" are you
          > expecting to pay to the translator.
          >
          > A decent translator might indeed be a rare thing if the rates are less
          > than decent.
          >
          > Best regards
          > Tomas Mosler

          > "prochazka.translations" <prochazka.translations@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear fellow translators,
          > >
          > > I would like to contribute some value to this group by offering a
          > professional/translation opportunity!
          > >
          > > I have been recently entrusted with the task of building and
          > managing an EN-CZ language pair for Gengo (www.gengo.com) and we're
          > trying to acquire some new translators before we open the pair.
          > >
          > > From my test-checking experience so far, only 10 % of applicants
          > accurately and naturally convey the meaning of the English original
          > with minimal grammatical errors. This has clearly shown me that a
          > decent translator is a rare thing indeed!
          > >
          > > If you feel up to the challenge, we'd love for you to take our test.
          > Make sure you understand the minimum quality expectations as well as
          > working terms and conditions outlined here:
          > >
          > > http://gengo.com/translator-team/become-a-translator/
          > >
          > > I look forward to our future cooperation!
          > >
          > > Vít Procházka
          > > Gengo Senior Translator

        • Mihail Mihaylov
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 21 1:52 PM
            A pyramid. Translation is only a cover.

            http://www.crunchbase.com/company/gengo

            Mihail

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 21 2:04 PM
              It doesn't sound like a pyramid scheme to me. It sounds like a crowdsourcing scheme to get kids and what I call "bilingual chit-chat ladies" to do translation almost free. Notice that they also have crowdsourced evaluation.

              This is very much like the Duolingo model, except Duolingo does it by offering the user free language lessons and confines the translation to its sponsors and nonprofit sites like Wikipedia. It doesn't try to snag professional translators.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 21 2:24 PM
                Hi Vit,

                Without prejudice to or search for Gengo's rates for translators, I
                thought I'd give it a try and take the test following the ProZ.com post.
                However, I stumbled on not being able to verify the website's owner. I
                am wary of internet domains registered through an anonymization proxy.
                This is perhaps relevant if you want to avoid political persecution but
                has no place in business...

              • Mihail Mihaylov
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 21 2:55 PM
                  It's a pyramid. They pay their translators (not in all cases though) more than they get from their customers. Such a behaviour makes sense only when you want to get more and more investments and enlarge the pyramid base.

                  I give them 2 or 3 years at the most.

                  Mihail

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 21 3:07 PM
                    What makes you think that? Paying translators more than what the company
                    owner can get from clients would ruin the owner very soonwhile the
                    ultimate goal of any pyramid schemeis to get its founders rich...

                    @Tomas - that was a great response!

                    Martin

                    Dne 21.3.2013 22:55, Mihail Mihaylov napsal(a):

                    > It's a pyramid. They pay their translators (not in all cases though)
                    > more than they get from their customers. Such a behaviour makes sense
                    > only when you want to get more and more investments and enlarge the
                    > pyramid base.
                    >
                    > I give them 2 or 3 years at the most.
                    >
                    > Mihail

                  • wustpisk
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 21 3:12 PM
                      'It doesn't try to snag professional translators.'

                      Then why did the original mail commence thus:

                      'I would like to contribute some value to this group by offering professional/translation opportunity'

                      ??

                      I wonder if he's reading. I would like to think that none of the members here would fall for something like this.

                      > It doesn't sound like a pyramid scheme to me. It sounds like a crowdsourcing scheme to get kids and what I call "bilingual chit-chat ladies" to do translation almost free. Notice that they also have crowdsourced evaluation.
                      >
                      > This is very much like the Duolingo model, except Duolingo does it by offering the user free language lessons and confines the translation to its sponsors and nonprofit sites like Wikipedia. It doesn't try to snag professional translators.
                      >
                      > Jamie
                      >
                      > On Mar 21, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Mihail Mihaylov wrote:
                      >
                      > > A pyramid. Translation is only a cover.
                      > >
                      > > http://www.crunchbase.com/company/gengo
                      > >
                      > > Mihail

                    • Mihail Mihaylov
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 21 3:26 PM
                        :) As I said, this is not a translation-based pyramid but an investment
                        pyramid.

                        Mihail

                        > What makes you think that? Paying translators more than what the company
                        > owner can get from clients would ruin the owner very soonwhile the
                        > ultimate goal of any pyramid schemeis to get its founders rich...
                        >
                        > @Tomas - that was a great response!
                        >
                        > Martin
                        >

                        > Dne 21.3.2013 22:55, Mihail Mihaylov napsal(a):
                        >>
                        >> It's a pyramid. They pay their translators (not in all cases though)
                        >> more than they get from their customers. Such a behaviour makes sense
                        >> only when you want to get more and more investments and enlarge the
                        >> pyramid base.
                        >>
                        >> I give them 2 or 3 years at the most.
                        >>
                        >> Mihail

                      • Gerald Turner
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 21 4:16 PM
                          Bravo. My sentiments exactly.

                          Gerry

                          --
                          7 Old Shoreham Road
                          Brighton

                          Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

                          To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                          And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                          Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                          And Eternity in an hour.

                        • Vít Procházka
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 21 5:12 PM
                            Gentlemen
                            (and madam).
                            I have
                            been, indeed, reading all of your contributions.
                            My intention
                            was to answer them politely, accurately and non-offensively, but the goal has becoming
                            increasingly difficult due to the unfounded accusations and biased cherry-picking. I will do my best, though.
                            At Helga:
                            it takes about two clicks to get to the Contact details (Contact Support>Office
                            Addresses and Directions), which clearly state company headquarters including
                            physical address. It takes about two clicks to access company´s BlueBoard
                            record on proz.com. As you can see, we average 4,8 there. Obviously we cannot
                            be that bad. Perhaps your research skills are what is suspicious here? By the
                            way, can you quote a law that requires the company to publish their Companies
                            Register and/or Registration Number on their promotional webpage to me, please?
                            At Mihail:
                            you are publicly accusing a legal entity as well as a physical person of a
                            fraud and illegal misconduct. Without any facts or evidence. Please reconsider.
                            I am merely asking at this point, because I used to believe that freelancers are polite
                            professionals who strive to be objective, accurate and respectful.
                            At Tomas
                            and James: I take you criticism to the heart, as there is some merit to it. We
                            do, indeed, use crowd-sourcing (and it is a cost-effective solution). As for
                            the pricing, due to the fact that we do have some demands on quality and we do
                            indeed try to snag some professional translators, as opposed to only “kids and bilingual
                            chit-chat ladies”, you are fully entitled to criticize our rates.
                            But please
                            consider this:
                            As you are
                            professionals, I am not addressing you for the Standard but for the Pro level
                            (0,08 USD per word for the translator).  Please consider that proz.com´s Average rates reported
                            by language pair clearly state 0,11 USD per word for the EN-CZ pair, Standard rate,
                            0,08 USD per word, Minimum rate. So we are minimum, alright. The company avoids
                            highly specialized texts (such as technical, legal and medical translation), so
                            even the Pro level of the translation is probably somewhat easier than your regular
                            work. The jobs are posted on the web interface, with email notifications, and
                            in case you are interested, you simply snatch them there (or not) - gone is the
                            interpersonal need to accept the job, lest the Project Manager never contacts
                            you again in the future. Payment is every 15 days, which is an improvement on
                            the average 30-45. The jobs are often very short and you can pick a volume which
                            suits you. These facts make it an easy, flexible work without much of a need
                            for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your idle time
                            that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger contracts.
                            It might be
                            that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive income high
                            above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
                            poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
                            But there
                            might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
                            agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized texts 45
                            days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.
                            Time will
                            tell.
                            Thank you for the ride.
                            V.P.

                            ________________________________

                            --
                            7 Old Shoreham Road
                            Brighton
                            Sussex
                            BN1 5DQ
                            U.K.

                            Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

                            To see a World in a Grain of Sand
                            And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
                            Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
                            And Eternity in an hour.

                          • Josef Hlavac
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 22 12:35 AM
                              Seconded.

                              Look at the investment money they received from various investors...

                              http://www.crunchbase.com/company/gengo

                              Joe

                            • Valerie Talacko
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 22 1:51 AM
                                I actually don't think it't intended to be a pyramid (whether it'll
                                last is another matter). They just don't offer much in terms of either
                                money or quality. But then neither do many smaller or more conventional
                                agencies.

                                The higher rate that they charge - 0.12 - seems to correspond to what
                                we would consider usual agency work, however - translations where
                                accuracy is required. It's interesting that their lower rate is
                                something they see as being for translation of material where
                                accuracy/quality "doesn't really matter" - blog posts, etc. The idea
                                that accuracy or quality "doesn't really matter" is a huge one for us to
                                swallow, but they see themselves as offering an improvement on machine
                                translation. However, their "human" translations may sound better
                                quality than machine translation, but won't necessarily be more
                                accurate!

                                Valerie

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 22 2:37 AM
                                  Anyone worked for Unicom Prague recently (last 2 years?)

                                  Thanks

                                • Foren - Helga
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 22 2:59 AM
                                    Ano, JA. Sice jen malickosti (drive to bylo podstatne vice, ale pry se
                                    vice soustredi na FR/ANG nez na NEM).
                                    Maji novou ucetni, jinak vse pri starem. Nikdi jsem s nimi nemela
                                    jakykoliv problem.
                                    Helga
                                    Am 22.03.2013 10:37, schrieb Matej Klimes:

                                    > Anyone worked for Unicom Prague recently (last 2 years?)
                                    >
                                    > Thanks

                                  • Josef Hlavac
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 22 8:41 AM
                                      In the Czech Republic it is Obchodni zakonik, paragraf 13a.

                                      Have no idea about US or Japanese laws.

                                      And, by the way, it took me three clicks to find the contact info, not
                                      two, and careful fine print reading -- if you hadn't said it was there,
                                      I would have given up.

                                      JH

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 22 8:49 AM
                                        I don't think US law requires the website owner to be identified, and it probably falls under the principle of caveat emptor. However, there are strict laws about spam e-mail here.

                                        In our translators association I often have to make members understand that when an agency's website has no real contact information, it shouldn't be trusted. You'd think it would be common sense, but apparently it's not.

                                        Jamie

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 22 11:09 AM
                                          Well, in case of this particular website, the contact information
                                          actually is there.... including fancy Google maps of their Tokyo, Japan
                                          and San Mateo, Calif. offices, phone numbers, etc. It's just not very
                                          conspicious.

                                          I clicked "About us", no real company info there. Clicked "Contact &
                                          Support", again, no real company info there. Normally, I would have
                                          given up at this point, thinking of "another website owner that probably
                                          has a good reason to stay anonymous". Only after more careful looking I
                                          noticed the link pointing to the office address etc.

                                          By the way, it's interesting to see that you consider US spam laws
                                          "strict". I might be wrong but I believe that you can actually spam as
                                          much as you like in the US, you just have to provide a simple and
                                          functional opt-out mechanism and perhaps real company contact details in
                                          each spam message. In CZ, you first have to obtain the recipient's
                                          permission before you can send them any unsolicited marketing mails. Now
                                          that's what I'd call strict... (of course, actual enforcement is a
                                          totally different chapter).

                                          Josef

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 22 11:27 AM
                                            Yes, in fact you're right. Not all spam has to be opt-in in the US, but there has to be a clear opt-out mechanism, and there is an indicia you have to include at the bottom of the e-mail. Nonetheless, the amount of spam I receive from inside the US is quite small, possibly because an e-mail sent to an unknown person is what in sales is called a "cold lead", and companies would rather focus on "qualified leads", which in this case would be people who have shown interest in their services and have opted in to receive e-mails. So this is apparently another thing that the market takes care of.

                                            The only time US law requires that you receive the recipient's permission before sending an e-mail seems to be when you want to make contact with a potential mail-order bride from a website. There have been a lot of crimes involving such women -- very many of them perpetrated by the defective American husband against the foreign woman -- and Congress decided to make it harder to contact the woman. A lot of "bride" websites moved off shore for that reason, from what I have read.

                                            Jamie

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 22 5:25 PM
                                              Right, some of the information I would like to know is actually on the
                                              website (even though kind of hidden).
                                              True is also, that I believed my statement regarding the "prominent
                                              placement" of such information is contained in all legislations (of
                                              "advanced" countries) to be true. Well, as I found out, it actually is
                                              only for the EU (EU legislation) and some other countries. In the US
                                              this is "only" a "should be", even though more or less all "advanced"
                                              companies do have this information on a "prominent place" on their
                                              websites (usually in the footer of each and every page of their website).
                                              Since you reside in the UK, I probably do not need to say, that even
                                              there such info has to be placed "prominently". Here´s
                                              http://www.northstar-website-design.com/resources/website_regulations.html
                                              some reading material in this regard.

                                              The comment, that I probably did not research well enough puzzles me!
                                              The company might want me, the translator, or me, the client, and does
                                              not bother providing me with the most essential company details in a way
                                              that I can find them immediately, within 20 seconds after landing on
                                              their website?!
                                              So it takes only two clicks? Fine, actually three, but ONLY if I know
                                              where to look for them! And, frankly spoken, under the tag "Contact
                                              Support" I understand the contact details for Support, not the Company
                                              Details as such.

                                              Further, why on earth would I look the company up on ProZ? I have no
                                              intention to work with them! I was only curious after the first harsh
                                              comment from your side. So I wanted to see myself what is and what is
                                              not on that site.

                                              Mr. Prochazka, even though I firmly believe that you are only trying to
                                              defend the name and position of Gengo, I still think it might be a good
                                              idea to look at the issue from an outside perspective, and re-evaluate
                                              your statements.

                                              Best, Helga

                                              Am 22.03.2013 01:12, schrieb Vít Procházka:

> [...]
                                              > for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your
                                              > idle time
                                              > that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger
                                              > contracts.
                                              > It might be
                                              > that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive
                                              > income high
                                              > above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
                                              > poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
                                              > But there
                                              > might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
                                              > agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized
                                              > texts 45
                                              > days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they
                                              > get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.

                                            • Sarka Rubkova
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 23 12:08 AM
                                                I have to say that I have not received Mr. Procházka’s mail at all. When I looked for it I found that my spam firewall put it (probably very rightly) into the spam box.

                                                Besides, Mr. Procházka, this isn’t basically a public forum as you believe

                                                s.

> [...]

                                                > for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your
                                                > idle time
                                                > that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger
                                                > contracts.
                                                > It might be
                                                > that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive
                                                > income high
                                                > above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
                                                > poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
                                                > But there
                                                > might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
                                                > agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized
                                                > texts 45
                                                > days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they
                                                > get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.

                                              • Jakub Skrebsky
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 23 5:26 AM
                                                  In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
                                                  Q – Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
                                                  A – No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.

                                                  Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
                                                  Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?

                                                  Jakub
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 23 5:55 AM
                                                    I think it's supposed to mean "to throw away nicely", i.e. not into the
                                                    bin, but into wherever you're supposed to put spent ink cartridges so
                                                    that elves can disassemble them to primary components and make shiny
                                                    new things out of them..

                                                    Recycled does mean to be used again, but usually after being
                                                    disassembled and re-used as melted/repocessed, IMHO.. it certainly does
                                                    in this case.

                                                    And of course the manufacturer will tell you to throw away everything
                                                    and go and buy it brand new (original only)..

                                                    >In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
                                                    >Q – Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
                                                    >A – No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.
                                                    >
                                                    >Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
                                                    >Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?
                                                    >
                                                    >Jakub

                                                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                                    >

                                                    >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                  • Valerie Talacko
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 23 6:03 AM
                                                      I agree - it doesn't mean "to be used again in the same form", it's
                                                      just a reminder that there are facilities for recycling them.

                                                      e.g.
                                                      http://h30248.www3.hp.com/recycle/supplies/index-cs.asp?__cc=us&__la=en

                                                      Valerie

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 23 6:49 AM
                                                        To use again would be "reuse".

                                                        "Recycle" is what the other people said it is. It's sending the container to a facility for its components to be reclaimed.

                                                        Jamie

                                                        On Mar 23, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Jakub Skrebsky wrote:

                                                        > In a printing device user manual, the FAQ section says:
                                                        > Q - Can you empty and re-use the ink container?
                                                        > A - No. The ink container must be replaced and recycled when prompted by the system.
                                                        >
                                                        > Perhaps NS understand the word "recycled" differently, but to me, "to be recycled" means "to be used again", so the answer contains contradicting statements.
                                                        > Is it because the rules of green political correctness don't allow saying "to dispose of", "to throw away", "to trash" ?
                                                        >
                                                        > Jakub

                                                      • Petr
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 23 8:31 AM
                                                          Ja bych uvazoval i o moznosti, ze se prazdna cartidge da znovu naplnit od profesionalu nebo odevzda k renovaci.
                                                          Petr Adamek

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 23 1:17 PM
                                                            Not in this case.. see the Q and the A..

                                                            I'm sure it is possible, but the thing the manufacturer is trying to
                                                            convey is throw away as often as possible and buy new from US... and as
                                                            long as we are translating a manual/website as opposed to stirring up a
                                                            revolution, we should convey the intended meaning..
                                                            After all, this is standard practice, one step more user-friendly and
                                                            less unethical than installing a kurvi'tko/fuck-up device (see Wiki)
                                                            IMHO..

                                                            Users that are not complete morons will know you can actually have ink
                                                            cartridges refilled and will do their own thing... but AFAICR refilling
                                                            ink cartridges is a messy business and they often dry up once
                                                            opened/tampered with (as will the unused inks) - maybe the technology
                                                            changed dramatically, but I remember having to do all sorts of tricks
                                                            to get things going when I had an ink printer back in my pro-photo
                                                            days.. both colour and B&W lasers are so cheap now that an ink printer
                                                            only makes sense for a highly specialised and very consistent and
                                                            frequent use these days, IMHO..

                                                            ... Got a bit distracted there, but the message definitely is that (as
                                                            far as the text in question is concerned) the cartridges are only good
                                                            for throwing away once they run out of ink (and they probably run out
                                                            of ink sooner than they'd have to)..

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Mar 23 2:44 PM
                                                              I switched to refilled ink cartridges because of the expense of new ones from the manufacturer. They came from a "reputable" company and smelled different but worked fine until they ate away my printer's ink nozzles.

                                                              Jamie