FB: Easter nadivka

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18 2:31 PM
      Should nadivka be called stuffing?

      Most concluded that is should, though one source that I found described it rather nicely IMHO as a savoury bread pudding.

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Jakub Skrebsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 18 2:57 PM
        Yes, nadivka is derived from the verb "nadivat", to stuff something.
        However, after living for 7 years in Northern Ireland, I understand the reference to savoury bread pudding. Here, people ofen order stuffing as a side to a chunk of roast meat.

        Jakub

        On 18 Mar 2013, at 21:31, Melvyn wrote:

        Should nadivka be called stuffing?

        Most concluded that is should, though one source that I found described it rather nicely IMHO as a savoury bread pudding.

        BR

        Melvyn
      • Zuzana Benesova
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 18 3:05 PM
          My mother always bakes Easter nadivka in a separate dish and serves as a side along with the roast. It can be stuffed into poultry but this way you can make more - the kids tend to prefer it to the meat anyway :-)
          So I suppose stuffing is ok, I can't see why not :-)

          Zuzka

          18. 3. 2013 v 22:57, Jakub Skrebsky:

          > Yes, nadivka is derived from the verb "nadivat", to stuff something.
          > However, after living for 7 years in Northern Ireland, I understand the reference to savoury bread pudding. Here, people ofen order stuffing as a side to a chunk of roast meat.
          >
          > Jakub
          >

          > On 18 Mar 2013, at 21:31, Melvyn wrote:
          >
          > Should nadivka be called stuffing?
          >
          > Most concluded that is should, though one source that I found described it rather nicely IMHO as a savoury bread pudding.
          >
          > BR
          >
          > Melvyn

        • Melvyn
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19 5:08 AM
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Skrebsky <jakub.skrebsky@...> wrote:

            > Yes, nadivka is derived from the verb "nadivat", to stuff something.
            > However, after living for 7 years in Northern Ireland, I understand the reference to savoury bread pudding. Here, people ofen order stuffing as a side to a chunk of roast meat.

            Your typical stuffing in the UK seems to me to be a much more modest affair than nadivka. Sage, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, a bit of this and that et voila (all you expert chefs out there notwithstanding). I feel that mere "stuffing" does not always do justice to nadivka and a little additional explanation in brackets might sometimes be in order. Suggestions on FB included "a crustless quiche or even a (flat) souffle". I wouldn't know a quiche if you hit me over the head with one and my cooking is limited to curries yum yum but then Hana throws open all the windows even in the middle of winter...

            BR

            Melvyn
          • janvanek
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20 8:16 AM
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Benesova wrote:

              > My mother always bakes Easter nadivka in a separate dish and serves as a side along with the roast. It can be stuffed into poultry but this way you can make more - the kids tend to prefer it to the meat anyway :-)
              > So I suppose stuffing is ok, I can't see why not :-)

              FWIW, my Southern-Bohemian grandparents (who also baked it on its own, in fact alone: who wants to ead kid, and where would one get it anyway?) called it "sekanda" which apparently is not just family idiolect: http://nasekuchyne.blogspot.cz/2011/04/originalni-jihoceska-velikonocni-sekana.html

              But of course, this just shifts Melvyn's original problem to another level.

              --
              Jan Vanìk jr.

              "Knìží. Filozofové. Naturalisté. Vìštci." [...]
              "Byl jsem jeden dva schody napøed oproti ostatním."
              Michael Stephen Fuchs, Rukopis. Pøeložila Ing. Lucie Králová, nakl. Brána; via (and more at) http://okoun.cz/boards/pranyr_prekladu?contextId=1065180668#article-1065180668
            • Romana
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 20 9:42 AM
                “my Southern-Bohemian grandparents … called it "sekanda" which apparently is not just family idiolect:”

                True. My Czech relatives in Northern Moravia call it “sekanda”, too.

                I just got another letter from my grandma today. She is 91. J

                With love from Australia,

                Romana

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 20 10:31 AM

                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Jakub Skrebsky <jakub.skrebsky@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Yes, nadivka is derived from the verb "nadivat", to stuff something.
                  > > However, after living for 7 years in Northern Ireland, I understand the reference to savoury bread pudding. Here, people ofen order stuffing as a side to a chunk of roast meat.
                  >
                  > Your typical stuffing in the UK seems to me to be a much more modest affair than nadivka. Sage, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, a bit of this and that et voila (all you expert chefs out there notwithstanding). I feel that mere "stuffing" does not always do justice to nadivka and a little additional explanation in brackets might sometimes be in order. Suggestions on FB included "a crustless quiche or even a (flat) souffle". I wouldn't know a quiche if you hit me over the head with one and my cooking is limited to curries yum yum but then Hana throws open all the windows even in the middle of winter...

                  FWIW, my Southern-Bohemian grandparents called it "sekanda", which apparently is a regionalism and not just family idiolect like others of their terms: http://nasekuchyne.blogspot.cz/2011/04/originalni-jihoceska-velikonocni-sekana.html

                  (And just like Zuzka's mother, they also baked it separately and in fact exclusively: who wants to eat -- and prepare -- kid? And where would one get it anyway?)

                  But I suppose this just shifts your original problem to another level. Still, quiche is nonsense; quite a different class of dough.

                  --
                  Jan Vanìk jr. (same address at Gmail)

                  "sexuální napìtí obou partnerù je tøeba udržovat pomocí intermitentních útoèných pohybù, obèas pøerušovaných pauzami"
                  Miriam Stoppardová: Zdravý sex, z anglického originálu (Dorling Kindersley Limited, London) pøeložila Alena Lukáèová, redigovala Leona Macháèková, odborná revize MUDr. Veronika Bártová, vydalo nakladatelství Ikar Praha, a. s. v roce 1999, str. 72
                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2013