Re: [Czechlist] Elementary legal expressions from Czech to English

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2000

      >I'd be interested in how others handle "v zneni." The sbirka cite uses "in
      >the wording of." But often, I'm inclined to think that "in the . . .
      >version . . . " (choose post- or pre-modification) or "as amended by X
      >thing / through Y date. . . " works better

      Hi Michael,

      Appreciate the detail you go into. I could never hope to argue my case as
      rigorously but I'd go for "as amended by". This is listed in the
      English-Czech Law Dictionary by Marta Chroma, LEDA 1995 and is used in the
      Trade Links translations.

      Hi Jirka,

      To answer another of your questions, British statutes are divided into
      sections, sub-sections, paragraphs and sub-paragraphs. Sections and
      sub-sections are denoted by Arabic numerals, paragraphs by letters in
      alphabetical order and sub-paragraphs by Roman numerals, e.g. Dangerous Dogs
      Act, 1991, s. 115(2)(a)(ii).
      Housing Act, 1961, ss. 31-2

      Long statutes are often divided into parts. The part is not usually
      mentioned in formal citation.

      I believe the Trade Links translations follow this model.

      Regards,

      Melvyn

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2000

        Melvyn Clarke wrote:
        > but I'd go for "as amended by".

        And what about the phrase "ve zne'ni pozde'js'ich pr'edpisu"?

        Jirka Bolech
      • Melvyn Clarke
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2000

          >And what about the phrase "ve zne'ni pozde'js'ich pr'edpisu"?

          - "as subsequently amended" viz Trade Links. Alternatives anybody?

          Melvyn