TERM: Beseda venkovske rodiny

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
      Often I would leave this kind of thing untranslated, or just provide a loose, descriptive tradition, but a client is asking me for a standard translation for the title of this 1950s Ministry of Agriculture weekly.

      After much rumination I have come up with Country Family Forum . Any thoughts? Would you prefer "Rural"?

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
        For "tradition" read "translation". Some kind of Freudian slip there.

        BR

        Melvyn

        > Often I would leave this kind of thing untranslated, or just provide a loose, descriptive tradition, but a client is asking me for a standard translation for the title of this 1950s Ministry of Agriculture weekly.
        >
        > After much rumination I have come up with Country Family Forum . Any thoughts? Would you prefer "Rural"?
        >
        > BR
        >
        > Melvyn

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
          countryside rather than country? (just a humble suggestion, probably wrong)
          or village forum?
          (There was a funny story of how the Soviet Ministry of Agriculture in their attempts to obtain some agricultural knowhow from the US subscribed to "Village Voice", the NYC's East Village subculture magazine)
          Jiri

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

            > countryside rather than country? (just a humble suggestion, probably wrong)

            I would not rule it out. After all, these days we have Horse and Countryside Magazine (must rein in the horse puns), the Countryside Movement, Countryside Alliance... In my particular case I am not sure it collocates best with "family".

            > or village forum?

            Village Family Forum has a nice ring to it, even in the context of enthusiastic letters to the readers' page about the latest serialization of a Soviet love story.

            Anyway, I am pleased nobody has objected to my "forum" idea for beseda.

            > (There was a funny story of how the Soviet Ministry of Agriculture in their attempts to obtain some agricultural knowhow from the US subscribed to "Village Voice", the NYC's East Village subculture magazine)

            Somehow puts me in mind of the Czechoslovak ice hockey team that arranged a series of matches in Britain, only to find when they got there that their opponents played field hockey.

            BR

            Melvyn
            Such the tenor man told,
            When he had grown old.
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 15, 2013
              I like "Village Family Forum" very much.

              Jamie