Poor old Churchill (and others)

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
    • Jan Culka
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 12, 2013
        I am pretty sure you can find several better or worse pdf2docx converters on net, and FOC.
        Honza

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 12, 2013
          HC> I am pretty sure you can find several better or worse pdf2docx
          converters on net, and FOC.
          Honza

          To jo, Honzo, ale ty to jen automaticky prezvykaji - a vysledek je
          horsi nez z OCR programu jako napr. FineReader - tedy pokud dokument
          obsahuje jakekoli slozitejsi formatovani jako vice sloupcu, fotky a
          obrazky s obtekanim textu, tabulky, text na pozadi atd. - tak je to
          temer nepouzitelne..

          Tohle neni software, ale banda lidi, co to prozenou SW a pak to
          manualne formatuji - coz je ta nejhorsi prace... Jasne ze u beznych
          dokumentu to vetsina z nas zvladne sama, ale jsou pripady, kdy ti na
          stole pristane obrovske a slozite pdf, termin je napjaty, klient si
          predstavuje nerealne veci.. ale je ochoten zaplatit za format,
          respektive mas cenu, pri ktere si ty dva az ctyri dolace za styranku
          muzes dovolit...

          Jen jsem se podelil

          Matej

          > I am pretty sure you can find several better or worse pdf2docx
          >converters on net, and FOC.
          >Honza

        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2013
            I would love to see how they cope with a blurred medical report with a line running down the middle of it and handwritten scribbled notes on the side. As I do lots of these, if they can really do this it might be interesting ... but I won't hold my breath.
            I find that Nuance does the job quite well (thanks Charlie for introducing me to that) but forget about the fancy bells and whistles - you need to spend years trawling through instruction manuals for all that and then find that you would never dream of using them. I just save the file as plain text and formatting is quite easy from there. If you save as formatted text it gives you a whole range of condensed font, different styles and sizes which has to be converted back to plain text anyway.
            A program that just converts Czech pdf files into plain text accurately without the menu bars and stuff that 99% of users are never likely to use would be a boon. (It is like these new android 'smart' phones and ipod phones - it is my contention that 99% of users use theirs for calling, texting, facebook and angry birds in the blissful ignorance that they do anything else :) )

            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@...> wrote:

            > I am pretty sure you can find several better or worse pdf2docx converters on net, and FOC.
            > Honza

          • Jan Culka
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 12, 2013
              OK, to je ovšem úplně jiná káva, to jsem nepochopil.
              Honza

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 12, 2013
                I'm guessing those would be scanned as opposed to real pdf's with
                actual text, Gerry? Not much one can do apart from playing with the
                resolution and contrast before OCR (but that would take time) - I doubt
                they have a Czech-speaking guy in Singapore or wherever they are to
                copy the handwritten notes :)

                Good idea with plain text, but when the original is a brochure with
                complicated formatting, clients usually expect the translation to have
                at least a similar layout, so going plain text and then formatting it
                back to how the original looks will be time-consuming.. as I said,
                probably not worth it for 90% of assignments, but may come in handy one
                day.

                Matej
                > I would love to see how they cope with a blurred medical report with
                >a line running down the middle of it and handwritten scribbled notes
                >on the side. As I do lots of these, if they can really do this it
                >might be interesting ... but I won't hold my breath.
                >I find that Nuance does the job quite well (thanks Charlie for
                >introducing me to that) but forget about the fancy bells and whistles
                >- you need to spend years trawling through instruction manuals for all
                >that and then find that you would never dream of using them. I just
                >save the file as plain text and formatting is quite easy from there.
                >If you save as formatted text it gives you a whole range of condensed
                >font, different styles and sizes which has to be converted back to
                >plain text anyway.
                >A program that just converts Czech pdf files into plain text
                >accurately without the menu bars and stuff that 99% of users are never
                >likely to use would be a boon. (It is like these new android 'smart'
                >phones and ipod phones - it is my contention that 99% of users use
                >theirs for calling, texting, facebook and angry birds in the blissful
                >ignorance that they do anything else :) )
                >
                >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Culka" <culka@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I am pretty sure you can find several better or worse pdf2docx
                >converters on net, and FOC.
                >> Honza

              • wustpisk
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 12, 2013
                  Yes - they are scans which, as you say, would be beyond even the best efforts of a sweatshop in Malaysia/Philippines/wherever.
                  Luckily I do very few complicated brochures, but if I ever get something similar I find that Wordfast copes with it pretty well. That is another thing that is 99% mystery to me - there is a yahoo Wordfast group which consists of endless technical posts which go into the minutiae of the CAT tool in question, and I can't believe that they ever get any translation work done. I certainly wouldn't have time to spend hours discussing TMs or creating bilingual files, for example. I've had it for years and they would probably be tearing their hair out if they saw the way that I use it, but it does the trick in the end ...

                  > I'm guessing those would be scanned as opposed to real pdf's with
                  > actual text, Gerry? Not much one can do apart from playing with the
                  > resolution and contrast before OCR (but that would take time) - I doubt
                  > they have a Czech-speaking guy in Singapore or wherever they are to
                  > copy the handwritten notes :)
                  >
                  > Good idea with plain text, but when the original is a brochure with
                  > complicated formatting, clients usually expect the translation to have
                  > at least a similar layout, so going plain text and then formatting it
                  > back to how the original looks will be time-consuming.. as I said,
                  > probably not worth it for 90% of assignments, but may come in handy one
                  > day.
                  >
                  > Matej

                • Kostas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 14, 2013
                    A good hint for some cases may be what I do:
                    Whatever may confuse my OCR and make it yield poor result, I cover it with white glue tape. There are rolling tapes available that allow very quick and comfortable "taping".

                    K.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 14, 2013
                      Nechci tady opet otevirat tu plechovku se zizalama, ale debatujem s
                      Martinem Jandou, zda umi (skutecne umi) Trados Studio 11 nasledujici:

                      Prijmout soubor v ttx nebo projekt v sdlxliff, vyexportovat jej do
                      Wordu nebo jineho textu, ktery pak prelozime v CATu dle naseho uvazeni
                      a preferenci, pote jej dame zpet do SDL S 11 a pak odevzdame opet jako
                      ttx nebo sdlxliff jako kdyby byly prelozeny v Tradosu...

                      Studio 09 to neumi, DejaVu to umi, ale o to nam ted nejde, chceme
                      overit, zda to ta 11tka skutecne zvladne bez problemu a zarucene.. Ma
                      tady nekdo SDL Studio 11 a byl by ochoten overit?

                      Na forech jsou rozporuplne informace a definitivni ano-ne tezto overit.

                      Diky

                      Matej

                    • Vitezslav Ruzicka
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                        K plechovce se zizalama:

                        SDL S 11 umi importovany soubor, predpokladam, ze z libovolneho formatu, ktery importovat umi, vyexportovat do dvousloupcove "tabulky k revizi" clenene po prekladanych segmentech, ve formatu MS WORD a tu po upravach zase importovat zpet do SDL S 11 a odtud se hotovy prelozeny soubor zase exportuje do puvodniho formatu, sam jsem to vyzkousel a docela se mi to libilo.

                        Mluvim o verzi SDL S 11 Freelance SP2, sitove verze toho mozna umi vic, ale uplne jisty si tim nejsem, obecne by se vyskytl problem s formatovanim (tagy) puvodniho dokumentu.

                        Upgrade na SDL S 11 SP2 jsem si nedavno poridil v ramci udrzby investice, po vsech tech nekonecnych upgradech Tradosu z davnych dob, ktere jsem pokud mozno preskakoval. Nastroj to je bezesporu uzitecny, specificky. Stale vsak radeji prekladam v DejaVu.

                        2 p

                        Vit