Re: [Czechlist] krkavci matka

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
      The term "Mommy dearest" is apparently widely known in the English-speaking world (at least two thirds of it), but it's not as transparent if you're from outside the culture.

      Sounds like just calling the mother neglectful would do.

      Jamie

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
        Keep in mind that "the mother from hell" would be an all-out psycho and very abusive, at least mentally, if not physically.

        Another alternative would be "careless mother". An "uncaring mother" (not a very common expression, in my opinion, but present in dictionaries) doesn't care about her children. A "careless mother" might care about her children, but she doesn't take proper care of them. This is the kind of woman who might neglect her children's nutrition and discipline and then worries that the kids are coming out "bad". Maybe she puts all her energy into boyfriend issues.

        Jamie

        On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

        > In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
        > I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
        > "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
        > Thank you both
        > Jiri

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
          There may be yet another subtlety to it
          Krkavec as such, in the figurative sense, means a greedy and selfish person. And indeed the term is sometimes used for a mother who spends mostly on herself (clothes and jewelry and stuff) or even other people rather than her kids

          Keep in mind that "the mother from hell" would be an all-out psycho and very abusive, at least mentally, if not physically.

          Another alternative would be "careless mother". An "uncaring mother" (not a very common expression, in my opinion, but present in dictionaries) doesn't care about her children. A "careless mother" might care about her children, but she doesn't take proper care of them. This is the kind of woman who might neglect her children's nutrition and discipline and then worries that the kids are coming out "bad". Maybe she puts all her energy into boyfriend issues.

          Jamie

          On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

          > In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
          > I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
          > "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
          > Thank you both
          > Jiri

        • Jakub Skrebsky
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
            Prekladatelsky orisek v textu z ucebnice managementu:
            Resources should include human and non-human resources.

            Nemuzu to prece prelozit jako "nelidske zdroje".

            Co vy na to?

            Jakub

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                zdroje lidske a dalsi (zdroje jine i dalsi)
                zdroje lidske i zdroje jine povahy

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                  Jo, k necemu podobnemu jsem se taky dopracoval.

                  Diky.

                  Jakub

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                    Materiální ??