Re: [Czechlist] krkavci matka

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
      Oh, I see. It's a calque of "Rabenmutter".

      I don't think there's any expression of that sort in English, so you have to just describe what she is or does.

      You could say an unfit mother, an abusive mother (if she abuses her kids instead of just neglecting them), a neglectful mother.

      If we think she's a psychopath or a sociopath, we'd just say she's a psychopathic mother, or whatever.

      Maybe we'd call her "the mother from hell" or "a mother from hell".

      There is one particular term that is still apparently common enough to be in the Urban Dictionary (not that every term in there is common), which is "Mommy Dearest". It was the title of a memoir by one of the old Hollywood actress Joan Crawford's children, and it's what Crawford supposedly made her kids call her in public. Crawford was allegedly quite a psycho, and after the book came out, calling someone "a mommy dearest" indicated she was neglectful erratic and abusive. I guess people still say it, from what I can see on the Internet.

      I actually thought a Rabenmutter was just neglectful and let her kids run wild, which is why they're called Rabenkinder.

      Jamie

      On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:21 PM, wustpisk wrote:

      > uncaring mother?
      > also 'heartless' or even possibly 'cruel'
      > http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-an-Uncaring-Mother
      > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022315/
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Mother
      >

      > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi all,
      >> Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
      >> Thanks
      >> Jiri

    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
        This is the best place to look for German to English equivalents
        http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=Rabenmutter&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

        I am sure there must be something more 'metaphorical' but 'mother from hell' would do it nicely
        http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/17265/top-10-movie-mothers-from-hell

        > Oh, I see. It's a calque of "Rabenmutter".
        >
        > I don't think there's any expression of that sort in English, so you have to just describe what she is or does.
        >
        > You could say an unfit mother, an abusive mother (if she abuses her kids instead of just neglecting them), a neglectful mother.
        >
        > If we think she's a psychopath or a sociopath, we'd just say she's a psychopathic mother, or whatever.
        >
        > Maybe we'd call her "the mother from hell" or "a mother from hell".
        >
        > There is one particular term that is still apparently common enough to be in the Urban Dictionary (not that every term in there is common), which is "Mommy Dearest". It was the title of a memoir by one of the old Hollywood actress Joan Crawford's children, and it's what Crawford supposedly made her kids call her in public. Crawford was allegedly quite a psycho, and after the book came out, calling someone "a mommy dearest" indicated she was neglectful erratic and abusive. I guess people still say it, from what I can see on the Internet.
        >
        > I actually thought a Rabenmutter was just neglectful and let her kids run wild, which is why they're called Rabenkinder.
        >
        > Jamie
        >
        > On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:21 PM, wustpisk wrote:
        >
        > > uncaring mother?
        > > also 'heartless' or even possibly 'cruel'
        > > http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-an-Uncaring-Mother
        > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022315/
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Mother
        > >

        > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Hi all,
        > >> Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
        > >> Thanks
        > >> Jiri

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
          In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
          I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
          "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
          Thank you both
          Jiri

          Oh, I see. It's a calque of "Rabenmutter".

          I don't think there's any expression of that sort in English, so you have to just describe what she is or does.

          You could say an unfit mother, an abusive mother (if she abuses her kids instead of just neglecting them), a neglectful mother.

          If we think she's a psychopath or a sociopath, we'd just say she's a psychopathic mother, or whatever.

          Maybe we'd call her "the mother from hell" or "a mother from hell".

          There is one particular term that is still apparently common enough to be in the Urban Dictionary (not that every term in there is common), which is "Mommy Dearest". It was the title of a memoir by one of the old Hollywood actress Joan Crawford's children, and it's what Crawford supposedly made her kids call her in public. Crawford was allegedly quite a psycho, and after the book came out, calling someone "a mommy dearest" indicated she was neglectful erratic and abusive. I guess people still say it, from what I can see on the Internet.

          I actually thought a Rabenmutter was just neglectful and let her kids run wild, which is why they're called Rabenkinder.

          Jamie

          On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:21 PM, wustpisk wrote:

          > uncaring mother?
          > also 'heartless' or even possibly 'cruel'
          > http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-an-Uncaring-Mother
          > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022315/
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Mother
          >

          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...<mailto:jiri.pilucha@...>> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi all,
          >> Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
          >> Thanks
          >> Jiri

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
            Thanks! I use Leo too, but it did not occur to me that krkavci matka had any German connections

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
              The term "Mommy dearest" is apparently widely known in the English-speaking world (at least two thirds of it), but it's not as transparent if you're from outside the culture.

              Sounds like just calling the mother neglectful would do.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                Keep in mind that "the mother from hell" would be an all-out psycho and very abusive, at least mentally, if not physically.

                Another alternative would be "careless mother". An "uncaring mother" (not a very common expression, in my opinion, but present in dictionaries) doesn't care about her children. A "careless mother" might care about her children, but she doesn't take proper care of them. This is the kind of woman who might neglect her children's nutrition and discipline and then worries that the kids are coming out "bad". Maybe she puts all her energy into boyfriend issues.

                Jamie

                On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

                > In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
                > I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
                > "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
                > Thank you both
                > Jiri

              • Pilucha, Jiri
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                  There may be yet another subtlety to it
                  Krkavec as such, in the figurative sense, means a greedy and selfish person. And indeed the term is sometimes used for a mother who spends mostly on herself (clothes and jewelry and stuff) or even other people rather than her kids

                  Keep in mind that "the mother from hell" would be an all-out psycho and very abusive, at least mentally, if not physically.

                  Another alternative would be "careless mother". An "uncaring mother" (not a very common expression, in my opinion, but present in dictionaries) doesn't care about her children. A "careless mother" might care about her children, but she doesn't take proper care of them. This is the kind of woman who might neglect her children's nutrition and discipline and then worries that the kids are coming out "bad". Maybe she puts all her energy into boyfriend issues.

                  Jamie

                  On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

                  > In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
                  > I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
                  > "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
                  > Thank you both
                  > Jiri

                • Jakub Skrebsky
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                    Prekladatelsky orisek v textu z ucebnice managementu:
                    Resources should include human and non-human resources.

                    Nemuzu to prece prelozit jako "nelidske zdroje".

                    Co vy na to?

                    Jakub

                  • Pilucha, Jiri
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                        zdroje lidske a dalsi (zdroje jine i dalsi)
                        zdroje lidske i zdroje jine povahy

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9, 2013
                          Jo, k necemu podobnemu jsem se taky dopracoval.

                          Diky.

                          Jakub

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 10, 2013
                            Materiální ??