krkavci matka

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 8 7:02 PM
      Hi all,
      Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
      Thanks
      Jiri

    • wustpisk
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8 8:21 PM
        uncaring mother?
        also 'heartless' or even possibly 'cruel'
        http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-an-Uncaring-Mother
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022315/
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Mother

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8 8:22 PM
          Explain it, and I'll try to come up with a good equivalent for you.

          Jamie

          On Mar 8, 2013, at 10:02 PM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
          > Thanks
          > Jiri

        • Pilucha, Jiri
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8 8:33 PM
            Gerry's suggestions perfectly express what it means, thanks Gerry - I was just wondering if there's any expression that would be more metaphorical

            ... such as "helicopter mom" which is actually exactly the opposite of "krkavci matka"

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8 8:37 PM
              Oh, I see. It's a calque of "Rabenmutter".

              I don't think there's any expression of that sort in English, so you have to just describe what she is or does.

              You could say an unfit mother, an abusive mother (if she abuses her kids instead of just neglecting them), a neglectful mother.

              If we think she's a psychopath or a sociopath, we'd just say she's a psychopathic mother, or whatever.

              Maybe we'd call her "the mother from hell" or "a mother from hell".

              There is one particular term that is still apparently common enough to be in the Urban Dictionary (not that every term in there is common), which is "Mommy Dearest". It was the title of a memoir by one of the old Hollywood actress Joan Crawford's children, and it's what Crawford supposedly made her kids call her in public. Crawford was allegedly quite a psycho, and after the book came out, calling someone "a mommy dearest" indicated she was neglectful erratic and abusive. I guess people still say it, from what I can see on the Internet.

              I actually thought a Rabenmutter was just neglectful and let her kids run wild, which is why they're called Rabenkinder.

              Jamie

              On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:21 PM, wustpisk wrote:

              > uncaring mother?
              > also 'heartless' or even possibly 'cruel'
              > http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-an-Uncaring-Mother
              > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022315/
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Mother
              >

              > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi all,
              >> Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
              >> Thanks
              >> Jiri

            • wustpisk
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8 9:03 PM
                This is the best place to look for German to English equivalents
                http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=Rabenmutter&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

                I am sure there must be something more 'metaphorical' but 'mother from hell' would do it nicely
                http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/17265/top-10-movie-mothers-from-hell

                > Oh, I see. It's a calque of "Rabenmutter".
                >
                > I don't think there's any expression of that sort in English, so you have to just describe what she is or does.
                >
                > You could say an unfit mother, an abusive mother (if she abuses her kids instead of just neglecting them), a neglectful mother.
                >
                > If we think she's a psychopath or a sociopath, we'd just say she's a psychopathic mother, or whatever.
                >
                > Maybe we'd call her "the mother from hell" or "a mother from hell".
                >
                > There is one particular term that is still apparently common enough to be in the Urban Dictionary (not that every term in there is common), which is "Mommy Dearest". It was the title of a memoir by one of the old Hollywood actress Joan Crawford's children, and it's what Crawford supposedly made her kids call her in public. Crawford was allegedly quite a psycho, and after the book came out, calling someone "a mommy dearest" indicated she was neglectful erratic and abusive. I guess people still say it, from what I can see on the Internet.
                >
                > I actually thought a Rabenmutter was just neglectful and let her kids run wild, which is why they're called Rabenkinder.
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:21 PM, wustpisk wrote:
                >
                > > uncaring mother?
                > > also 'heartless' or even possibly 'cruel'
                > > http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-an-Uncaring-Mother
                > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022315/
                > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Mother
                > >

                > > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Hi all,
                > >> Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
                > >> Thanks
                > >> Jiri

              • Pilucha, Jiri
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 8 9:03 PM
                  In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
                  I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
                  "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
                  Thank you both
                  Jiri

                  Oh, I see. It's a calque of "Rabenmutter".

                  I don't think there's any expression of that sort in English, so you have to just describe what she is or does.

                  You could say an unfit mother, an abusive mother (if she abuses her kids instead of just neglecting them), a neglectful mother.

                  If we think she's a psychopath or a sociopath, we'd just say she's a psychopathic mother, or whatever.

                  Maybe we'd call her "the mother from hell" or "a mother from hell".

                  There is one particular term that is still apparently common enough to be in the Urban Dictionary (not that every term in there is common), which is "Mommy Dearest". It was the title of a memoir by one of the old Hollywood actress Joan Crawford's children, and it's what Crawford supposedly made her kids call her in public. Crawford was allegedly quite a psycho, and after the book came out, calling someone "a mommy dearest" indicated she was neglectful erratic and abusive. I guess people still say it, from what I can see on the Internet.

                  I actually thought a Rabenmutter was just neglectful and let her kids run wild, which is why they're called Rabenkinder.

                  Jamie

                  On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:21 PM, wustpisk wrote:

                  > uncaring mother?
                  > also 'heartless' or even possibly 'cruel'
                  > http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-an-Uncaring-Mother
                  > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022315/
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Mother
                  >

                  > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com>, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...<mailto:jiri.pilucha@...>> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi all,
                  >> Would you please suggest a good expression for "krkavci matka"
                  >> Thanks
                  >> Jiri

                • Pilucha, Jiri
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 8 9:07 PM
                    Thanks! I use Leo too, but it did not occur to me that krkavci matka had any German connections

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 8 9:09 PM
                      The term "Mommy dearest" is apparently widely known in the English-speaking world (at least two thirds of it), but it's not as transparent if you're from outside the culture.

                      Sounds like just calling the mother neglectful would do.

                      Jamie

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9 5:53 AM
                        Keep in mind that "the mother from hell" would be an all-out psycho and very abusive, at least mentally, if not physically.

                        Another alternative would be "careless mother". An "uncaring mother" (not a very common expression, in my opinion, but present in dictionaries) doesn't care about her children. A "careless mother" might care about her children, but she doesn't take proper care of them. This is the kind of woman who might neglect her children's nutrition and discipline and then worries that the kids are coming out "bad". Maybe she puts all her energy into boyfriend issues.

                        Jamie

                        On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

                        > In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
                        > I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
                        > "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
                        > Thank you both
                        > Jiri

                      • Pilucha, Jiri
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 9 6:59 AM
                          There may be yet another subtlety to it
                          Krkavec as such, in the figurative sense, means a greedy and selfish person. And indeed the term is sometimes used for a mother who spends mostly on herself (clothes and jewelry and stuff) or even other people rather than her kids

                          Keep in mind that "the mother from hell" would be an all-out psycho and very abusive, at least mentally, if not physically.

                          Another alternative would be "careless mother". An "uncaring mother" (not a very common expression, in my opinion, but present in dictionaries) doesn't care about her children. A "careless mother" might care about her children, but she doesn't take proper care of them. This is the kind of woman who might neglect her children's nutrition and discipline and then worries that the kids are coming out "bad". Maybe she puts all her energy into boyfriend issues.

                          Jamie

                          On Mar 9, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

                          > In my particular context it's not as bad as child abuse or being a psycho
                          > I kind of like "mother from hell", it might work, or simply "uncaring" as Gerry had said
                          > "Mommy dearest" is an interesting story, I would've never figured it out if I'd heard the expression
                          > Thank you both
                          > Jiri

                        • Jakub Skrebsky
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 9 7:06 AM
                            Prekladatelsky orisek v textu z ucebnice managementu:
                            Resources should include human and non-human resources.

                            Nemuzu to prece prelozit jako "nelidske zdroje".

                            Co vy na to?

                            Jakub

                          • Pilucha, Jiri
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 9 7:10 AM

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 9 7:12 AM
                                zdroje lidske a dalsi (zdroje jine i dalsi)
                                zdroje lidske i zdroje jine povahy

                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 9 7:39 AM
                                  Jo, k necemu podobnemu jsem se taky dopracoval.

                                  Diky.

                                  Jakub

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 10 1:25 AM
                                    Materiální ??