Re: HOT ISSUE: Prdelacka and now Pajsl as well

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Hannah Geiger <czechlist@...> wrote:

      > JAK KRASNE CECHEM BYTI.....
      >
      > http://www.labuznik.cz/recept/vejmrda-priloha-k-ovaru/

      Vejmrda! I have it in my flashcard collection (fourth down)
      http://quizlet.com/624895/czech-english3-flash-cards/

      Poldauf simply suggests: grated horseradish and apples. Can't really beat that, unless we go a bit heavy on the horseradish and then call it "apple surprise".

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
        Nay!
        http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nay

        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, preklady@... wrote:

        > A horsebit then? You know, a bit of horse here and there...
        > Alena
        >

        > Dne 08.03.2013 17:43, Jan Culka napsal:
        >
        > > It seems to be a new
        > habit!

        P.S. "Habit" is normally used for individuals and "custom" for groups of people. Sorry, teacher's reflex. Cannot help it. :-)
      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" <gerry.vickers@...> wrote:

          > How about haggis soup?

          Trying to give it up, thank you.

          > And how would you translate pajsl? (another grandmother speciality)

          Same as plicky, isn't it? There is a whole chapter of Hrdy Budzes describing how the chief protagonist surreptitiously disposed of her plicky at mealtimes. Total classic. I used to try to get rid of my butter beans and turnips in exactly the same way.

          Calf's lights in cream sauce?
          Calf's lights hash?
          http://dictionary.reverso.net/german-english/Lungenhaschee

          BR

          Melvyn
        • wustpisk
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 8, 2013
            Just as you don't like quail eggs in your kulajda, I don't like calf in my pajsl. Pig only, please!
            http://www.toprecepty.cz/recept/4586-pajsl-plicky-na-smetane/

            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "wustpisk" <gerry.vickers@> wrote:
            > >

            > > How about haggis soup?
            >
            > Trying to give it up, thank you.
            >
            > > And how would you translate pajsl? (another grandmother speciality)
            >
            > Same as plicky, isn't it? There is a whole chapter of Hrdy Budzes describing how the chief protagonist surreptitiously disposed of her plicky at mealtimes. Total classic. I used to try to get rid of my butter beans and turnips in exactly the same way.
            >
            > Calf's lights in cream sauce?
            > Calf's lights hash?
            > http://dictionary.reverso.net/german-english/Lungenhaschee
            >
            > BR
            >
            > Melvyn

          • Sarka Rubkova
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 10, 2013
              It can be made from milk or cream, sweet (at the end soured with vinegar) or
              sour, with or without dill, with or without mushrooms, with or without eggs
              (quailed or hard boiled).

              Do you know that it is also called Hladk� An�ka (in Krkono�e)?

              Sarka

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 10, 2013
                I don't think that it is hash, there are small pieces of viscera meat (called korinek in Czech i.e. lungs, heart and livers), calf's in the original recipe but now usually pig's. It is true that it was the most terrible meal in school canteen but recently I visited small canteen nearby where they cook three to four different meals every day, and people were queuing there just for "plicky na smetane" which disappeared in quarter of an hour after opening. I have never been any fan but obviously my distaste was rather connected with improper way they did it in school than with really bad taste.

                Sarka

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 11, 2013
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sarka Rubkova" <sarka@...> wrote:

                  > Do you know that it is also called Hladka Ancka (in Krkonose)?

                  Mmm a Smooth Annie sounds just the job in this kind of weather. Or is that a Nan* Smoothy? Or does hladka have some other meaning here?

                  Hladka Ancka je starodavna krkonosska polevka a ackoli se zda, ze je tak jednoducha, ze uz ani jednodussi byt nemuze, patri mezi polevky, ktere se vesnici od vesnice varily ruzne.
                  Nekde se davaji vejce natvrdo do talire, nekde se zakvedlaji rozslehane rovnou do polevky, nekde dokonce delavaji vejce smazena a pak teprve vkladaji do polevky. Existují verze Ancky bez mleka a se smetanou, verze zjemnene zloutkem, verze superchudobna jen z vyvaru z cibule a kminu…
                  http://www.labuznik.cz/recept/hladka-ancka/

                  I see that zakvedlat means to mix (e.g. an egg) into (e.g. soup). Must include that in our "Czechs have a word for it" collection, which BTW is now housed on the Czechlist Facebook site. Oh, have I not mentioned our new Czechlist Facebook site? :-) Well, you can find it easily enough on Facebook and you will also find many old Czechlist friends there, as well as some new ones. You can ask language questions and you will likely get some good answers in with all the banter (banter is de rigeur on Facebook Czechlist :-)). You will also probably find it easier there to filter out trolls and heavy weirdo Jekyll and Hyde characters. Some users have also commented on the ease of use in general.

                  BR

                  Melvyn
                  *"To bed, to bed," said Sleepy Head,
                  "Tarry awhile," said Slow.
                  "Put on the pan," said highly resourceful and forward-thinking Nan,
                  "Let's sup before we go."
                • Sarka Rubkova
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 22, 2013
                    Zakvedlat means vm�chat, you may have a word for it

                    Sarka

                    > Do you know that it is also called Hladka Ancka (in Krkonose)?

                    Mmm a Smooth Annie sounds just the job in this kind of weather. Or is that a
                    Nan* Smoothy? Or does hladka have some other meaning here?

                    Hladka Ancka je starodavna krkonosska polevka a ackoli se zda, ze je tak
                    jednoducha, ze uz ani jednodussi byt nemuze, patri mezi polevky, ktere se
                    vesnici od vesnice varily ruzne.
                    Nekde se davaji vejce natvrdo do talire, nekde se zakvedlaji rozslehane
                    rovnou do polevky, nekde dokonce delavaji vejce smazena a pak teprve
                    vkladaji do polevky. Existuj� verze Ancky bez mleka a se smetanou, verze