Re: Deformation professionnelle (was: Monterky)

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 1, 2013

      > Anyway, if you guy's can accept the EU term "harmonization" in
      senses that have nothing to do with music, I can't see why you object to "professional deformity" as a calque from French. I sense some
      > inconsistency here.

      http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=harmonized
      FWIW the Online Etymology Dictionary says the "bring into agreement" meaning of "harmonize" dates back to 1727. Hardly Brusselese.

      In any case, I do not object at all to the use of calques from French (the more solutions, the merrier, as I say), but there must be some reason why so many sources seek alternative translations, so I guess that is the main reason.

      BR

      Melvyn
      Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.) - Walt Whitman :-)

      And let's keep Thoreau's hobgoblin out of this.
    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 5, 2013
        Nakonec jsem opravdu zvolila tuto variantu, že jedná o zabalené zboží
        dodávané na nezakrytém náklaďáku

        Sarka