Re: Deformation professionnelle (was: Monterky)

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 1, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <spacils@...> wrote:

      > I've heard "occupational hazard" used ironically to describe the "mental illness" (usually some sort of obsessive-compulsive behaviour or altered perception of reality) one can get from a job.

      This is a point I was going to make yesterday before I got sidetracked. I do see this small area of overlap between "deformation professionnelle" and "occupational hazard", e.g. if I start automatically interpreting everything I hear around me I might tap my head and say something like "hazard of the job" by way of explanation, but even then I would probably try to think of something more drôle and apposite (like "hey, you got a problem with that, asshole?" :-)).

      As for the acceptability of sardonicism in any given culture well Peter Newmark makes the point (don't know how much he is generalizing) that in some places in the Arab world it is considered highly insincere and frivolous, while in other places (he names Hungary) people go in for it in a big way.

      Imagine a car is stopped and the driver is chatting away even though the traffic lights have changed to green. What do people typically say in your part of the world? Zelenejsi to snad nebude, pane...?

      Or if somebody leaves a door open. Mas v prdeli voj...?

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 5, 2013
        Nakonec jsem opravdu zvolila tuto variantu, že jedná o zabalené zboží
        dodávané na nezakrytém náklaďáku

        Sarka