Re: [Czechlist] Deformation professionnelle (was: Monterky)

    Message 1 of 46 , Feb 28, 2013
      Putting aside men in dresses, the main difference I see in the humor in British vs. American TV shows is that the British shows have all sorts of situations the British apparently find hilarious just because an Englishman is trying to stay polite in a situation where an American would see no reason to.

      Give me a couple of examples of sarcasm that would "go over well" in the UK or CR but not in the US. I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

      Jamie

      On Feb 28, 2013, at 8:11 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:

      >> Jamie> I don't know about any UK vs. US difference in the love of
      >> sarcasm. If anything, I'd expect the British to be more restrained in
      >> it, as they are restrained in many things. I imagine it depends on who
      >> you hang around with. I didn't detect any proneness to sarcasm in the
      >> Czech Republic that was greater than anything you find in the US.
      >>
      >> I'm more than ready to accept that I was wrong about occupational
      >> hazard and its use, but sarcasm (as long as we mean the same thing?..
      >> come on, I'm not alone to say this...)
      >>
      >> The real problem may be that 'sarcasm' is a dirty word in the US (in
      >> my experience) and any use of it is regarded as, don't know, really,
      >> patronising, foreign, strange? All I know is that things I might have
      >> said to different people in UK (including builders, bartenders, don't
      >> know, just about anybody) - which would go down quite well as (maybe
      >> not a brilliant, but still a joke of sorts), were suddenly bad
      >> manners/incomprehensible/weird/what the hell? in the US..
      >>
      >> Re British use of sarcasm, they may be restrained in certain things,
      >> but not sarcasm (AFAIK), even at the time restraint was the order of
      >> the day (sorry, we all know those are long gone), sarcasm was IMHO
      >> more than alive and kicking even among the most restrained, but again,
      >> perceptions may differ..
      >> I'm sure I've read a thing or two on the subject from reliable (from
      >> this side of the pond, I grant you) sources, of course that may not
      >> sound reliable enough to you, but try to take it as an outsider's
      >> opinion.. There may be a comparative something or other thesis on it
      >> somewhere.. just one look at popular culture would be enough, not
      >> saying one is worse than another, but the use of sarcasm is surely
      >> very different in Brit vs. US TV comedy shows, for example..
      >> Not a subject we're likely to solve/agree on once for all and in a
      >> single post, I'm sure, though..

    • Sarka Rubkova
      Message 46 of 46 , Mar 5 11:25 PM
        Nakonec jsem opravdu zvolila tuto variantu, že jedná o zabalené zboží
        dodávané na nezakrytém náklaďáku

        Sarka