jak se namane

  • wustpisk
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
      From a medical report

      kouři stále - "jak se namane" - 20 cig za den

      I'm guessing: whatever he can lay his hands on?

      Thanks for any suggestions!
    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
        sounds more like "when opportunity arises"

        whatever he can lay his hands on would be 'co se namane'?

        >kouři stále - "jak se namane" - 20 cig za den
        >
        >I'm guessing: whatever he can lay his hands on?
        >
        >Thanks for any suggestions!

      • wustpisk
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
          Thanks - so basically chain smoker. It is probably a last attempt at humour from the patient who is lying on his deathbed. Exitus letalis soon follows.

          > sounds more like "when opportunity arises"
          >
          > whatever he can lay his hands on would be 'co se namane'?

        • Gerald Turner
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
            Exactly. Or "how does he come by..."

            Gerry

            --
            7 Old Shoreham Road
            Brighton

            Tel/fax: ++ 44 1273208484

            To see a World in a Grain of Sand
            And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
            Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
            And Eternity in an hour.

          • Gerald Turner
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
              I bow to this wisdom ;) except that I'd say "whenever the opportunity
              arises"

              Gerald

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
                Well, actually, 20 cigs a day doesn't sound that bad to me (non-smoker,
                but heavy smokers go through two packets a day, don't they?)... same
                goes for chain smoking, if you chain smoke, you're bound to end up with
                more than 20 a day..

                That's why I said when, not whenever (my first choice), because
                whenever suggests any time all the time..

                My feeling is that he was trying to make it sound better, maybe he does
                chain smoke and goes through two packs a day, but 'jak se namane'
                sounds like - when other people are smoking, when I have a bit of time,
                or something like that to me...

                Anyway, not terribly important, but it doesn't sound like a super heavy
                smoker (feel like I'm defending smoking now:)