Re: [Czechlist] Re: CHAT: Restructuring vs. Restructuralization

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
      Ahoj Petre,

      souhlasi s tebou i OED, ktery uvadi:
      re'vitalize v.
      [re- 5 a.]
      trans. To restore to vitality; to put new life into.

      revitali'zation.
      [f. next.]
      The action of revitalizing, or the fact of being revitalized. Also attrib.,
      as revitalization movement.

      Revitalizace v cestine je zase jeden z projevu jazykove lenosti nebo
      snobismu, kteremu znovuoziveni neznelo dosti vznesene.

      Zdravi
      Mirek
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
      tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
      mobil: 0606 865870
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
        In a message dated 2/2/01 2:19:52 PM, mgrant@... writes:

        >>Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace" (proces
        >>oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they actually
        >>uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?
        >
        >"Turnaround" is pretty common. We have "revitalize" (which would
        >normally be used for a geographical area rather than a single
        >enterprise), but wouldn't normally use "revitalization"--although I'm
        >sure you can find a few examples of the latter.

        I don't see what's wrong with "revitalization" for a single enterprise.
        Seems to me you hear it all the time in American media that are not the least
        bit influenced by Czenglish. "Revitalization" and "turnaround" aren't
        exactly the same thing. "Turnaround" indicates the revival of a company that
        is losing money, whereas when I hear "revitalization" I assume it's only a
        matter of bringing vitality to a company that has been merely stagnant.