TERM: Karolinske obdobi

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
      If a text is talking about an Italian picture from the "karolinske obdobi", are we talking about the Carolingian period or the Carolinine period (i.e, the time of Charlemagne)?

      Jamie
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2001
        A recap (or nightcap in your case, Jamie):

        Carolingian (also Carlovingian):
        Of or relating to the second Frankish dynasty, 751--911/87, founded by
        Pippin the Short, father of Charlemagne (cf. Merovingian: of or relating to
        the first Frankish dynasty, c.500--751, founded by Clovis).

        Carolinian:
        1. = Caroline.
        2. Of or relating to Charlemagne and his times.
        3. Of or relating to Carolina or the Carolinas.

        Caroline:
        1. Of or relating to the life and times of Charles I or Charles II of
        England.
        2. Of or relating to the life and times of Charles IV of Bohemia (the
        Caroline University).
        3. Of or relating to the life and times of any other important Charlie.
        4. = Carolingian

        Simon
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2001
          >3. Of or relating to the life and times of any other important Charlie.

          Chaplin? Brown? Chan? The guy with the Angels?
          Michael

          Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954