RE: [Czechlist] Re: Hugging the door

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
      Oooops, Sorry I should have explained it right off: The author is addressing Obama directly, speaking to him in direct speech, thus Charlie‘s and Gerry’s clarification makes a lot of sense, thanks to both and an apology to matej, I should’ve used inverted commas

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
        Americans can drive starting at the age of 16. This means that teenagers spend a lot of time in the car on dates.

        Once in a while some girl will go on a date with a guy she suddenly realizes she should be afraid of. The typical practice of a girl in that situation is to sit way over next to the door, and even rest her arm close to the door handle, so that she can quickly open the door and jump out of the car if the boy tries anything he shouldn't. This might even mean jumping out of the car when it is stopped for a red light. The idea is that she is constantly in a position to immediately escape the guy she's on a date with.

        I'm absolutely positive that's what he means by that expression.

        Jamie

        On Feb 20, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

        > Dear colleagues,
        >
        > I'm translating a piece by P.J.O'Rourke where he blames Obama for "Hugging the door on your date with Israel". I can't find this idiom anywhere, would you please be able to help
        >
        > Thanks a lot
        >
        > Jiri

      • Pilucha, Jiri
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
          Thanks Jamie, this is exteremely helpful, I would've never figured it out