Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Restructuring vs. Restructuralization

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
      >Let me share with an interesting terminology issue I ve come accross lately.
      >Some Czech translators "invented" the new word for "restrukturalizace" -
      >"restructuralization". Unfortunately, this Czechism can be often seen in
      >translations, though the correct word should be "restructuring", sometimes
      >even "financial restructuring". I guess this wrong translation is influenced
      >by many other similar examples such as privatizace-privatization,
      >liberalizace-liberalizace, modernizace-modernization, etc. What do you think
      >of it?

      I think it's very awkwardnessful.

      >Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace" (proces
      >oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they actually
      >uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?

      "Turnaround" is pretty common. We have "revitalize" (which would
      normally be used for a geographical area rather than a single
      enterprise), but wouldn't normally use "revitalization"--although I'm
      sure you can find a few examples of the latter.

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
        >Does "informatization" sound
        >awkward to other native speakers as well?

        Yes! Sounds very foreign.
        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • Miroslav Herold
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
          Ahoj Petre,

          souhlasi s tebou i OED, ktery uvadi:
          re'vitalize v.
          [re- 5 a.]
          trans. To restore to vitality; to put new life into.

          revitali'zation.
          [f. next.]
          The action of revitalizing, or the fact of being revitalized. Also attrib.,
          as revitalization movement.

          Revitalizace v cestine je zase jeden z projevu jazykove lenosti nebo
          snobismu, kteremu znovuoziveni neznelo dosti vznesene.

          Zdravi
          Mirek
          Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

          tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
          tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
          mobil: 0606 865870
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
            In a message dated 2/2/01 2:19:52 PM, mgrant@... writes:

            >>Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace" (proces
            >>oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they actually
            >>uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?
            >
            >"Turnaround" is pretty common. We have "revitalize" (which would
            >normally be used for a geographical area rather than a single
            >enterprise), but wouldn't normally use "revitalization"--although I'm
            >sure you can find a few examples of the latter.

            I don't see what's wrong with "revitalization" for a single enterprise.
            Seems to me you hear it all the time in American media that are not the least
            bit influenced by Czenglish. "Revitalization" and "turnaround" aren't
            exactly the same thing. "Turnaround" indicates the revival of a company that
            is losing money, whereas when I hear "revitalization" I assume it's only a
            matter of bringing vitality to a company that has been merely stagnant.