Hugging the door

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
      Dear colleagues,

      I'm translating a piece by P.J.O'Rourke where he blames Obama for "Hugging the door on your date with Israel". I can't find this idiom anywhere, would you please be able to help

      Thanks a lot

      Jiri

    • Charles Stanford
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
        I suppose the "hugging" is because there should be romance involved on a
        date - but the only thing on Obama's mind was how quickly he could get away
        from the talks. One step down from "sitting on the fence". Maybe someone
        from the US can put us straight (I have never come across it) but that is
        what it sounds like to me.

        On 20 February 2013 14:07, Pilucha, Jiri <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Dear colleagues,
        >
        > I'm translating a piece by P.J.O'Rourke where he blames Obama for "Hugging
        > the door on your date with Israel". I can't find this idiom anywhere, would
        > you please be able to help
        >
        > Thanks a lot
        >
        > Jiri

      • wustpisk
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
          Yes - I would go with that, but I don't think any romance is involved. Imagine you are on your way out and you are talking to somebody in the room that you were just in and you are poking your head around, it might look as though you are 'hugging the door' (very poor description, I'm sorry) - a sort of vertical sitting on the fence ... :)

          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford <charliestanfordtranslations@...> wrote:

          > I suppose the "hugging" is because there should be romance involved on a
          > date - but the only thing on Obama's mind was how quickly he could get away
          > from the talks. One step down from "sitting on the fence". Maybe someone
          > from the US can put us straight (I have never come across it) but that is
          > what it sounds like to me.
          >
          > On 20 February 2013 14:07, Pilucha, Jiri <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Dear colleagues,
          > >
          > > I'm translating a piece by P.J.O'Rourke where he blames Obama for "Hugging
          > > the door on your date with Israel". I can't find this idiom anywhere, would
          > > you please be able to help
          > >
          > > Thanks a lot
          > >
          > > Jiri

        • (no author)
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
            I'm no expert on US/Israel relations under Obama, but since it says
            YOUR date with Israel, it sounds to me as if someone's having a date
            (talks) with Israel and Obama is hugging the door (pretty much what
            Gerry described), but not on his way out, but in a sort of
            butting-in/gooseberry way, i.e. he's not included in the date but he's
            standing there hugging the door making small talk refusing to leave? Or
            am I miles off?

            Matej
            > Yes - I would go with that, but I don't think any romance is
            >involved. Imagine you are on your way out and you are talking to
            >somebody in the room that you were just in and you are poking your
            >head around, it might look as though you are 'hugging the door' (very
            >poor description, I'm sorry) - a sort of vertical sitting on the fence
            >... :)
            >
            >--- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Charles Stanford wrote:
            >>
            >> I suppose the "hugging" is because there should be romance involved
            >on a
            >> date - but the only thing on Obama's mind was how quickly he could
            >get away
            >> from the talks. One step down from "sitting on the fence". Maybe
            >someone
            >> from the US can put us straight (I have never come across it) but
            >that is
            >> what it sounds like to me.
            >>
            >> On 20 February 2013 14:07, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:
            >>
            >> > **
            >> >

            >> > Dear colleagues,
            >> >
            >> > I'm translating a piece by P.J.O'Rourke where he blames Obama for
            >"Hugging
            >> > the door on your date with Israel". I can't find this idiom
            >anywhere, would
            >> > you please be able to help
            >> >
            >> > Thanks a lot
            >> >
            >> > Jiri

          • Pilucha, Jiri
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
              Oooops, Sorry I should have explained it right off: The author is addressing Obama directly, speaking to him in direct speech, thus Charlie‘s and Gerry’s clarification makes a lot of sense, thanks to both and an apology to matej, I should’ve used inverted commas

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
                Americans can drive starting at the age of 16. This means that teenagers spend a lot of time in the car on dates.

                Once in a while some girl will go on a date with a guy she suddenly realizes she should be afraid of. The typical practice of a girl in that situation is to sit way over next to the door, and even rest her arm close to the door handle, so that she can quickly open the door and jump out of the car if the boy tries anything he shouldn't. This might even mean jumping out of the car when it is stopped for a red light. The idea is that she is constantly in a position to immediately escape the guy she's on a date with.

                I'm absolutely positive that's what he means by that expression.

                Jamie

                On Feb 20, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Pilucha, Jiri wrote:

                > Dear colleagues,
                >
                > I'm translating a piece by P.J.O'Rourke where he blames Obama for "Hugging the door on your date with Israel". I can't find this idiom anywhere, would you please be able to help
                >
                > Thanks a lot
                >
                > Jiri

              • Pilucha, Jiri
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
                  Thanks Jamie, this is exteremely helpful, I would've never figured it out