Re: Sights

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:

      > I think that in a title we'd more likely write "Things to see", but "Sights" is okay.

      Or maybe "sightseeing", "sightseeing spots" and the like?

      > > Historicke pamatky/Historic sites

      Note the difference between historic and historical:
      http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/historic-versus-historical.aspx

      A lot of native speakers ignore this difference but IMHO it is still worth knowing.

      I often try to work in the word "heritage" in this kind of context. See Czechlist archives. "Heritage sites" works here IMO. Even covers places that aren't particularly historic.

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Melvyn
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
        Getting here
        (Easy) access by road, rail and air
        (Major) road, rail and air links

        Public transport

        BR

        Melvyn

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
              as a standalone word superimposed over a photo of a
              > >historical building (supposedly being one of the 'benefits' of the
              > >office development in question, as in they make it sound as if pamatky
              > >were part of what you get with your lease..), it didn't work for me..
              > >Used sightseeing in the end.. It's an activity, strictly speaking, but
              > >it seemed better than just 'sights'

              Hmmm didn't know this was for an office development. Sightseeing for me is normally something that you go and do. A bit unusual to do it from your office window, unless perhaps it is in jest ("See the sights!"). Not sure about that one now. Hey add an exclamation mark and it will be fine. :-)

              I guess one could argue these sites/buildings are almost
              > >always historic (as in important in history), as opposed to just
              > >historical (old),

              I recently had a picture of a cerna kuchyne (open-hearth kitchen?) in a burgher's house. To me, "historic" suggests the great tea-trolley disaster of 1547 or something, but then this job makes me hypersensitive to nuances and your average tourist would probably not bat an eyelid.

              BR

              Melvyn
            • wustpisk
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                Fantastic panoramic views?

                Nothing like a bit of purple prose, especially if the office development is overlooking Chodov or Vítkovice.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matej Klimes" wrote:
                > as a standalone word superimposed over a photo of a
                > > >historical building (supposedly being one of the 'benefits' of the
                > > >office development in question, as in they make it sound as if pamatky
                > > >were part of what you get with your lease..), it didn't work for me..
                > > >Used sightseeing in the end.. It's an activity, strictly speaking, but
                > > >it seemed better than just 'sights'
                >

                > Hmmm didn't know this was for an office development. Sightseeing for me is normally something that you go and do. A bit unusual to do it from your office window, unless perhaps it is in jest ("See the sights!"). Not sure about that one now. Hey add an exclamation mark and it will be fine. :-)
                >
                > I guess one could argue these sites/buildings are almost
                > > >always historic (as in important in history), as opposed to just
                > > >historical (old),
                >
                > I recently had a picture of a cerna kuchyne (open-hearth kitchen?) in a burgher's house. To me, "historic" suggests the great tea-trolley disaster of 1547 or something, but then this job makes me hypersensitive to nuances and your average tourist would probably not bat an eyelid.
                >
                > BR
                >
                > Melvyn

              • (no author)
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                  We're wandering away now... there was the occasional this or that view,
                  but my main thing concerning pamatky was that they were thrown in as
                  one of the benefits/things you get.. and it was usually a standalone
                  term and/or a caption/graphic element on a page, together with a photo
                  of one of Prague's finest..