Sights

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
      Another one of those things that keep popping up, (historicke)
      pamatky... it's relatively easy to deal with in a sentence, but as a
      standalone heading (with nothing to follow), do you think just 'sights'
      is OK?

      Again, this present case is a bilingual brochure, where things like
      this appear either in bullet point lists, or as captions under/near to
      illustrations..

      Things like:

      Zajímavá místa/Points of interest

      Památky/Sights

      Historické památky/Historic sites

      (they are not in one place like this, but throughout the text) ...
      sounds OK?

      I went for historic sites in the last line to have a bit of a variation
      and to avoid sights, which (IMHO) sounds a bit weird on its own like
      this... I mean things like London sights, sights in London etc. are
      commonplace enough, but just sights alone? I considered attractions,
      but didn't want to go 'tourist attractions' and attractions alone also
      sound a bit suspect, any comments?

      Thanks

      Matej

    • Pilucha, Jiri
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
        Neslo by proste "accessibility"?

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
          To se mi taky moc nelibi, jen tak samo o sobe a vedle/v kontrastu s
          MHD, je to torochu nelogicke... navic accessibility nejake budovy se
          spise tyka bezbarieroveho pristupu atd..

          Mozna nad tim moc dumam, ale ja si vzdycky predstavim takove nadpisy
          samy o sobe bez tech veci co jsou pod nimi a premyslim jestli davaji
          smysl, respektive jak zni, a tady mi nic moc nesedi..

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
            I think that in a title we'd more likely write "Things to see", but "Sights" is okay.

            Jamie

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
              Long-distance transportation
              Local transportation

              Jamie

              On Feb 12, 2013, at 5:54 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

              > Hi list,
              >
              > I'm a bit slow today and can't think of an elegant way to say dopravni
              > dostupnost..
              >
              > It's for a bilingual brochure on an office development.. there are two
              > columns of symbols/keys headed DOPRAVNI DOSTUPNOST (listing all major
              > roads, train stations, airport etc.) and MHD/PUBLIC TRANSPORT (listing
              > nearby Metro and tram stations)....
              >
              > Nothing I usually say in this context sounds particularly good on its
              > own and in this contrast (to public transport), best I have is
              > "Transport infrastructure" but I'm sure there's a better solution..
              >
              > Thanks for any ideas
              >
              > Matej

            • Melvyn
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:

                > I think that in a title we'd more likely write "Things to see", but "Sights" is okay.

                Or maybe "sightseeing", "sightseeing spots" and the like?

                > > Historicke pamatky/Historic sites

                Note the difference between historic and historical:
                http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/historic-versus-historical.aspx

                A lot of native speakers ignore this difference but IMHO it is still worth knowing.

                I often try to work in the word "heritage" in this kind of context. See Czechlist archives. "Heritage sites" works here IMO. Even covers places that aren't particularly historic.

                BR

                Melvyn
              • Melvyn
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                  Getting here
                  (Easy) access by road, rail and air
                  (Major) road, rail and air links

                  Public transport

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                        as a standalone word superimposed over a photo of a
                        > >historical building (supposedly being one of the 'benefits' of the
                        > >office development in question, as in they make it sound as if pamatky
                        > >were part of what you get with your lease..), it didn't work for me..
                        > >Used sightseeing in the end.. It's an activity, strictly speaking, but
                        > >it seemed better than just 'sights'

                        Hmmm didn't know this was for an office development. Sightseeing for me is normally something that you go and do. A bit unusual to do it from your office window, unless perhaps it is in jest ("See the sights!"). Not sure about that one now. Hey add an exclamation mark and it will be fine. :-)

                        I guess one could argue these sites/buildings are almost
                        > >always historic (as in important in history), as opposed to just
                        > >historical (old),

                        I recently had a picture of a cerna kuchyne (open-hearth kitchen?) in a burgher's house. To me, "historic" suggests the great tea-trolley disaster of 1547 or something, but then this job makes me hypersensitive to nuances and your average tourist would probably not bat an eyelid.

                        BR

                        Melvyn
                      • wustpisk
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                          Fantastic panoramic views?

                          Nothing like a bit of purple prose, especially if the office development is overlooking Chodov or Vítkovice.

                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matej Klimes" wrote:
                          > as a standalone word superimposed over a photo of a
                          > > >historical building (supposedly being one of the 'benefits' of the
                          > > >office development in question, as in they make it sound as if pamatky
                          > > >were part of what you get with your lease..), it didn't work for me..
                          > > >Used sightseeing in the end.. It's an activity, strictly speaking, but
                          > > >it seemed better than just 'sights'
                          >

                          > Hmmm didn't know this was for an office development. Sightseeing for me is normally something that you go and do. A bit unusual to do it from your office window, unless perhaps it is in jest ("See the sights!"). Not sure about that one now. Hey add an exclamation mark and it will be fine. :-)
                          >
                          > I guess one could argue these sites/buildings are almost
                          > > >always historic (as in important in history), as opposed to just
                          > > >historical (old),
                          >
                          > I recently had a picture of a cerna kuchyne (open-hearth kitchen?) in a burgher's house. To me, "historic" suggests the great tea-trolley disaster of 1547 or something, but then this job makes me hypersensitive to nuances and your average tourist would probably not bat an eyelid.
                          >
                          > BR
                          >
                          > Melvyn

                        • (no author)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                            We're wandering away now... there was the occasional this or that view,
                            but my main thing concerning pamatky was that they were thrown in as
                            one of the benefits/things you get.. and it was usually a standalone
                            term and/or a caption/graphic element on a page, together with a photo
                            of one of Prague's finest..