Dopravni dostupnost

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
      Hi list,

      I'm a bit slow today and can't think of an elegant way to say dopravni
      dostupnost..

      It's for a bilingual brochure on an office development.. there are two
      columns of symbols/keys headed DOPRAVNI DOSTUPNOST (listing all major
      roads, train stations, airport etc.) and MHD/PUBLIC TRANSPORT (listing
      nearby Metro and tram stations)....

      Nothing I usually say in this context sounds particularly good on its
      own and in this contrast (to public transport), best I have is
      "Transport infrastructure" but I'm sure there's a better solution..

      Thanks for any ideas

      Matej

    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
        Another one of those things that keep popping up, (historicke)
        pamatky... it's relatively easy to deal with in a sentence, but as a
        standalone heading (with nothing to follow), do you think just 'sights'
        is OK?

        Again, this present case is a bilingual brochure, where things like
        this appear either in bullet point lists, or as captions under/near to
        illustrations..

        Things like:

        Zajímavá místa/Points of interest

        Památky/Sights

        Historické památky/Historic sites

        (they are not in one place like this, but throughout the text) ...
        sounds OK?

        I went for historic sites in the last line to have a bit of a variation
        and to avoid sights, which (IMHO) sounds a bit weird on its own like
        this... I mean things like London sights, sights in London etc. are
        commonplace enough, but just sights alone? I considered attractions,
        but didn't want to go 'tourist attractions' and attractions alone also
        sound a bit suspect, any comments?

        Thanks

        Matej

      • Pilucha, Jiri

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
            To se mi taky moc nelibi, jen tak samo o sobe a vedle/v kontrastu s
            MHD, je to torochu nelogicke... navic accessibility nejake budovy se
            spise tyka bezbarieroveho pristupu atd..

            Mozna nad tim moc dumam, ale ja si vzdycky predstavim takove nadpisy
            samy o sobe bez tech veci co jsou pod nimi a premyslim jestli davaji
            smysl, respektive jak zni, a tady mi nic moc nesedi..

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
              I think that in a title we'd more likely write "Things to see", but "Sights" is okay.

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                Long-distance transportation
                Local transportation

                Jamie

                On Feb 12, 2013, at 5:54 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

                > Hi list,
                >
                > I'm a bit slow today and can't think of an elegant way to say dopravni
                > dostupnost..
                >
                > It's for a bilingual brochure on an office development.. there are two
                > columns of symbols/keys headed DOPRAVNI DOSTUPNOST (listing all major
                > roads, train stations, airport etc.) and MHD/PUBLIC TRANSPORT (listing
                > nearby Metro and tram stations)....
                >
                > Nothing I usually say in this context sounds particularly good on its
                > own and in this contrast (to public transport), best I have is
                > "Transport infrastructure" but I'm sure there's a better solution..
                >
                > Thanks for any ideas
                >
                > Matej

              • Melvyn
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:

                  > I think that in a title we'd more likely write "Things to see", but "Sights" is okay.

                  Or maybe "sightseeing", "sightseeing spots" and the like?

                  > > Historicke pamatky/Historic sites

                  Note the difference between historic and historical:
                  http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/historic-versus-historical.aspx

                  A lot of native speakers ignore this difference but IMHO it is still worth knowing.

                  I often try to work in the word "heritage" in this kind of context. See Czechlist archives. "Heritage sites" works here IMO. Even covers places that aren't particularly historic.

                  BR

                  Melvyn
                • Melvyn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                    Getting here
                    (Easy) access by road, rail and air
                    (Major) road, rail and air links

                    Public transport

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                          as a standalone word superimposed over a photo of a
                          > >historical building (supposedly being one of the 'benefits' of the
                          > >office development in question, as in they make it sound as if pamatky
                          > >were part of what you get with your lease..), it didn't work for me..
                          > >Used sightseeing in the end.. It's an activity, strictly speaking, but
                          > >it seemed better than just 'sights'

                          Hmmm didn't know this was for an office development. Sightseeing for me is normally something that you go and do. A bit unusual to do it from your office window, unless perhaps it is in jest ("See the sights!"). Not sure about that one now. Hey add an exclamation mark and it will be fine. :-)

                          I guess one could argue these sites/buildings are almost
                          > >always historic (as in important in history), as opposed to just
                          > >historical (old),

                          I recently had a picture of a cerna kuchyne (open-hearth kitchen?) in a burgher's house. To me, "historic" suggests the great tea-trolley disaster of 1547 or something, but then this job makes me hypersensitive to nuances and your average tourist would probably not bat an eyelid.

                          BR

                          Melvyn
                        • wustpisk
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                            Fantastic panoramic views?

                            Nothing like a bit of purple prose, especially if the office development is overlooking Chodov or Vítkovice.

                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Melvyn" wrote:

                            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matej Klimes" wrote:
                            > as a standalone word superimposed over a photo of a
                            > > >historical building (supposedly being one of the 'benefits' of the
                            > > >office development in question, as in they make it sound as if pamatky
                            > > >were part of what you get with your lease..), it didn't work for me..
                            > > >Used sightseeing in the end.. It's an activity, strictly speaking, but
                            > > >it seemed better than just 'sights'
                            >

                            > Hmmm didn't know this was for an office development. Sightseeing for me is normally something that you go and do. A bit unusual to do it from your office window, unless perhaps it is in jest ("See the sights!"). Not sure about that one now. Hey add an exclamation mark and it will be fine. :-)
                            >
                            > I guess one could argue these sites/buildings are almost
                            > > >always historic (as in important in history), as opposed to just
                            > > >historical (old),
                            >
                            > I recently had a picture of a cerna kuchyne (open-hearth kitchen?) in a burgher's house. To me, "historic" suggests the great tea-trolley disaster of 1547 or something, but then this job makes me hypersensitive to nuances and your average tourist would probably not bat an eyelid.
                            >
                            > BR
                            >
                            > Melvyn

                          • (no author)
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 12, 2013
                              We're wandering away now... there was the occasional this or that view,
                              but my main thing concerning pamatky was that they were thrown in as
                              one of the benefits/things you get.. and it was usually a standalone
                              term and/or a caption/graphic element on a page, together with a photo
                              of one of Prague's finest..