CHAT: Restructuring vs. Restructuralization

  • Tomáš Skřont
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2 1:34 AM
      Dear Czechlistmates,

      Let me share with an interesting terminology issue I ve come accross lately.
      Some Czech translators "invented" the new word for "restrukturalizace" -
      "restructuralization". Unfortunately, this Czechism can be often seen in
      translations, though the correct word should be "restructuring", sometimes
      even "financial restructuring". I guess this wrong translation is influenced
      by many other similar examples such as privatizace-privatization,
      liberalizace-liberalizace, modernizace-modernization, etc. What do you think
      of it?

      Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace" (proces
      oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they actually
      uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?

      Regards,

      Ing. Tomas SKRONT
      Czech<>English business translations

      Kurzova 12/2224, 155 00 Prague 5, Czech Rep.
      Tel/Fax: +420 2 56 156 77
      Mobile phone number: + 420 602 712 923
      E-mail address: skront@...
      Web page: www.ekonomickepreklady.cz (English version available)

      It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice!

    • uji@uji.cz
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2 5:08 AM
        Tomas napsal:
        > Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace"
        (proces
        > oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they
        actually
        > uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?

        Ja jsem mel vzdycky dojem, ze slovo "revitalizace" se do cestiny
        dostalo zcestenim (tj. zmenou koncovky) anglickeho "revitalization" a
        ze tedy vztah "revitalization"-"revitalizace" je takrikajic "one-to-
        one mapping", jak rikaji matematici. Mylim se?
        Petr Adamek
      • Tomáš Skřont
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2 5:44 AM
          Myslim, ze se nemylis. Jen mne zarazilo, ze Prague Tribune pouziva uvozovky,
          cimz naznacuje, ze jde o takzvany termin.

          BTW, 196 000 "Revitalization" links on Google; 5 530 "Informatization".
          Melvyn and Otto suggested a few weeks ago at Svepomoc meeting "harmonization
          of IT infrastructure" for "informatization". Does "informatization" sound
          awkward to other native speakers as well?

          Tomas
          > > Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace"
          > (proces
          > > oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they
          > actually
          > > uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?
          > >
          > Ja jsem mel vzdycky dojem, ze slovo "revitalizace" se do cestiny
          > dostalo zcestenim (tj. zmenou koncovky) anglickeho "revitalization" a
          > ze tedy vztah "revitalization"-"revitalizace" je takrikajic "one-to-
          > one mapping", jak rikaji matematici. Mylim se?
          > Petr Adamek

          > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > Egroups addresses and URLs will continue to work.

        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2 8:00 AM
            >Let me share with an interesting terminology issue I ve come accross lately.
            >Some Czech translators "invented" the new word for "restrukturalizace" -
            >"restructuralization". Unfortunately, this Czechism can be often seen in
            >translations, though the correct word should be "restructuring", sometimes
            >even "financial restructuring". I guess this wrong translation is influenced
            >by many other similar examples such as privatizace-privatization,
            >liberalizace-liberalizace, modernizace-modernization, etc. What do you think
            >of it?

            I think it's very awkwardnessful.

            >Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace" (proces
            >oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they actually
            >uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?

            "Turnaround" is pretty common. We have "revitalize" (which would
            normally be used for a geographical area rather than a single
            enterprise), but wouldn't normally use "revitalization"--although I'm
            sure you can find a few examples of the latter.

            Michael

            Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2 8:00 AM
              >Does "informatization" sound
              >awkward to other native speakers as well?

              Yes! Sounds very foreign.
              Michael

              Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
            • Miroslav Herold
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2 11:44 AM
                Ahoj Petre,

                souhlasi s tebou i OED, ktery uvadi:
                re'vitalize v.
                [re- 5 a.]
                trans. To restore to vitality; to put new life into.

                revitali'zation.
                [f. next.]
                The action of revitalizing, or the fact of being revitalized. Also attrib.,
                as revitalization movement.

                Revitalizace v cestine je zase jeden z projevu jazykove lenosti nebo
                snobismu, kteremu znovuoziveni neznelo dosti vznesene.

                Zdravi
                Mirek
                Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

                tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
                tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
                mobil: 0606 865870

              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2 9:33 PM
                  In a message dated 2/2/01 2:19:52 PM, mgrant@... writes:

                  >>Another term which is difficult to translate is "revitalizace" (proces
                  >>oziveni podniku). The Prague Tribune uses "revitalization" (they actually
                  >>uses quotation marks). Any other suggestions?
                  >
                  >"Turnaround" is pretty common. We have "revitalize" (which would
                  >normally be used for a geographical area rather than a single
                  >enterprise), but wouldn't normally use "revitalization"--although I'm
                  >sure you can find a few examples of the latter.

                  I don't see what's wrong with "revitalization" for a single enterprise.
                  Seems to me you hear it all the time in American media that are not the least
                  bit influenced by Czenglish. "Revitalization" and "turnaround" aren't
                  exactly the same thing. "Turnaround" indicates the revival of a company that
                  is losing money, whereas when I hear "revitalization" I assume it's only a
                  matter of bringing vitality to a company that has been merely stagnant.