Re: Czechs in Michigan

  • Diana Krausova
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
      Jamie,

      There certainly isn't a "visible" presence in the sense that there is
      with the Polish community in Hamtramck. I never claimed there were Czech
      bakeries in Detroit and to my knowledge you are right, there aren't any.
      Except maybe in the homes of our (many) Czech friends (and Slovak too, as
      they usually party together) who even though quite assimilated, speak
      Czech, make great homemade rohliky in addition to kolace and other
      pastries. Guess I'm lucky I don't have to travel as far as Chicago for
      the good stuff when I'm in Detroit...

      Diana

      *** CZECHTRANSLATIONS.COM *********************************************
      your online source for professional Czech & English translations

      http://www.czechtranslations.com//
      ---------------------
      e-mail: diana@...
      ---------------------
      US - tel: (248) 624.6198
      e-fax: (801) 905.5618
      ---------------------
      PRAGUE - tel/fax: (4202) 248.26.913
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
        >Plus -- and
        >this is the true litmus test of the real presence of an ethnic community here
        >-- you cannot find any second- or third-generation Americans here who have a
        >Czech or Slovak accent but cannot speak Czech or Slovak.

        All the Texas Czechs (Czexans?) have accents. Texas accents.
        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954