Re: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: round out final 8

  • Markéta Vilhelmová
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
      boys were right about advancing teams

      --
      Marketa Vilhelmova
      Domasov u Stbk. 46
      CZ-78501 Sternberk
      Czech Republic
      Comp. ID: 73360309
      EU VAT: CZ7555252870
      tel: +420 608 614 059
      e-mail: marketa.jirickova@...
      skype: jirickovapeggy

      ---------- Původní zpráva ----------
      Od: wustpisk <gerry.vickers@...>
      Datum: 4. 2. 2013
      Předmět: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: round out final 8

      "

      Does the pitch look like this: http://leoburnettgrads.files.wordpress.com/
      2011/01/1194986806906859364football_pitch__andy_bur_01-svg-hi.png
      (http://leoburnettgrads.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/1194986806906859364football_pitch__andy_bur_01-svg-hi.png)

      or this:
      http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/G/gridiron.png
      (http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/G/gridiron.png)

      if the former, then it is football, if the latter then it is American
      football.

      But I have never heard of any such terminology being used in conjunction
      with football, except for 'final 8'.

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com), James
      Kirchner wrote:

      > Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in
      American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of
      eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much
      higher.

      > Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in
      someone throwing a ball?

      > In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally
      establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the
      playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs
      are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in
      the final match.

      > What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of
      football and which level (professional, college, etc.).