TERM: flow turning & torch turning machine

  • alderan@mailcity.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      Juts now, I work on translation of some Website, dedicated to
      mechanical engineering. They have rather extensive dictionary to
      translate into Czech, so the terms are often found without context.

      Such two are: "flow turning", and "torch turning machine".

      I was looking for the first term on Internet, but so far, haven't
      found much. Only some suspiction that "flow turning" might be
      connected with extrusion or broaching, rather than with turning on
      lathe. The other one - no cue.

      Has someone got any idea? Please, help.

      Thanks a lot.

      Pavel Storkan
      Alderan@...
    • Martin Mikolajek
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
        Would anybody be so kind and help me with the transcription of Japanese
        names (which appear in an English text in the anglicized version) into
        Czech? For example, should I transcribe the name " Genichi Taguchi" as "
        Geni^ci Tagu^ci"? I am even more uncertain about the name "Ishikawa". Should
        it be "I^sikawa" or "I^sikava"? Or should I just leave these names as they
        are? If you happen to know any rules for this, I would be happy for any
        comments.

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Mikolajek" <mgmikolajek@v...> wrote:

          > Would anybody be so kind and help me with the transcription of
          Japanese
          > names (which appear in an English text in the anglicized version)
          into
          > Czech? For example, should I transcribe the name " Genichi Taguchi"
          as "
          > Geni^ci Tagu^ci"? I am even more uncertain about the name
          "Ishikawa". Should
          > it be "I^sikawa" or "I^sikava"? Or should I just leave these names
          as they
          > are? If you happen to know any rules for this, I would be happy for
          any
          > comments.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Martin

          Akademicka pravidla ceskeho pravopisu has the following to say about
          transcriptions of Japanese into Czech:

          Zpusob transkripce dvou slabicnych abeced a slovnich znaku japonskeho
          pisma se lisi
          podle grafickych zvyklosti jednotlivych jayku. Za hranicemi je nejvice
          rozsiren prepis do
          latinky vypracovany v Japonsku (kunrejs^ uju rinadz^i) a anglicka
          transkripce Hepburnova.
          Jejich uziti je v ceskych textech vhodne jen u slov, ktera si
          zachovaji cizi a citatovy charakter
          (vuz zn. Toyota, koncern Mitsubishi).

          Ceska transkripce japonskych slov se vyznacuje uzitim rozlisovacich
          znamenek ve slabikach
          s^i, s^a, s^o, s^e, c^i, c^a, c^u, c^o, c^e, dz^i, dz^a, dz^u, dz^o,
          dz^e; oznacovanim
          japonske hlasky j pismenem j a japonskeho c pismenem c (na rozdil od
          transkripci
          zalozenych na anglictine, kde se uziva pismen y (tez i) a ts).
          Japonska hlask v, ve vyslovnosti
          odlisna od ceske, se prepisuje pismenem w.

          Dlouhe japonske samohlasky se v cestine oznacuji carkou, zdvojene
          souhlasky se
          zachovavaji, respektuje se zvukova spodoba hlasek (s^imbun, kampaj).

          Priklady transkripce:
          jen (jednotka meny), bonsaj, sumo', karate, kendo', no', samuraj,
          s^into', s^o'gun, Hons^u',
          Kju's^u', Hokkaido', S^ikoku, O'saka, Cus^ima, Fudz^isan

          There is also a note to the effect that there is no escaping the ova'
          ending e.g. Pani Jamamotova' but this might now be out of date IMHO.

          So it looks like you need Genic^i Taguc^i and Is^ikawa.

          Sajo'nara

          Melvyn san
        • Martin Mikolajek
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
            Thank you Melvyn, you've been most helpful as usual. From the context, it's
            not clear whether these people are men or women (them being mentioned only
            as authors of books), so I'll probably have to employ some more Google
            search on them. Considering the type of books they wrote, though, they'll
            probably stay male. :)

            Thanks again,

            Martin
            .