Re: HELP: round out final 8

  • Melvyn
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Christopher Kasha" wrote:

      > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
      > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
      > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
      > could say this team rounded out the final 8.

      Seconded. Lots of examples on Google seem to bear this out, e.g.

      The four winners of these games will round out the final eight teams of the 2008 college football playoff.
      http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.html

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Markéta Vilhelmová
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
        thank you...

        --
        Marketa Vilhelmova
        Domasov u Stbk. 46

        > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
        > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
        > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
        > could say this team rounded out the final 8.

        Seconded. Lots of examples on Google seem to bear this out, e.g.

        The four winners of these games will round out the final eight teams of the
        2008 college football playoff.
        http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.
        html
        (http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.html)

        BR

        Melvyn

        "=

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
          Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much higher.

          Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in someone throwing a ball?

          In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in the final match.

          What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

          Jamie

          On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

          > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
          > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
          > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
          > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
          >

          > Of course I could be way off base.
          >

          > Kent

        • Markéta Vilhelmová
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
            was UEFA, solved with the client already. thank you

            --
            Marketa Vilhelmova
            Domasov u Stbk. 46

            Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in
            American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of
            eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much
            higher.

            Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in
            someone throwing a ball?

            In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally
            establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the
            playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs
            are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in
            the final match.

            What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of
            football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

            Jamie

            On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

            > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
            > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
            > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
            > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
            >

            > Of course I could be way off base.
            >

            > Kent
            >

            > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com)
            > I have a marketing text in front of me which includes a picture of a
            > football pitch. There's a gate with quite many players in front of it and
            > short title "Round out final 8" and "AFP". I guess AFP should be a press
            > agency. But what could the "round out final 8" mean? That final score was
            8?
            > I'm afraid it's not common to reach a high score like this. I don't
            > understand football at all, it's enough for me to know it's a ball game
            with
            > two teams and two gates. But some of male colleagues could know more and
            > give me an advice?
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Marketa
            >
            > --
            > Marketa Vilhelmova
            > Domasov u Stbk. 46
            > CZ-78501 Sternberk
            > Czech Republic
            > Comp. ID: 73360309
            > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
            > tel: +420 608 614 059
            > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@...(mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz)
            > skype: jirickovapeggy

            "=

          • wustpisk
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
              Does the pitch look like this: http://leoburnettgrads.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/1194986806906859364football_pitch__andy_bur_01-svg-hi.png

              or this:
              http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/G/gridiron.png

              if the former, then it is football, if the latter then it is American football.

              But I have never heard of any such terminology being used in conjunction with football, except for 'final 8'.

              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:

              > Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much higher.
              >
              > Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in someone throwing a ball?
              >
              > In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in the final match.
              >
              > What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of football and which level (professional, college, etc.).
              >
              > Jamie
              >
              > On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:
              >
              > > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
              > > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
              > > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
              > > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
              > >

              > > Of course I could be way off base.
              > >

              > > Kent

            • Markéta Vilhelmová
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
                boys were right about advancing teams

                --
                Marketa Vilhelmova
                Domasov u Stbk. 46

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com), James
                Kirchner wrote:

                > Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in
                American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of
                eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much
                higher.

                > Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in
                someone throwing a ball?

                > In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally
                establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the
                playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs
                are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in
                the final match.

                > What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of
                football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

                > Jamie
                >
                > On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:
                >
                > > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be
                the
                > > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If
                there
                > > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
                > > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
                > >

                > > Of course I could be way off base.
                > >

                > > Kent
                > >

                > > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com)
                > > I have a marketing text in front of me which includes a picture of a
                > > football pitch. There's a gate with quite many players in front of it
                and a
                > > short title "Round out final 8" and "AFP". I guess AFP should be a press

                > > agency. But what could the "round out final 8" mean? That final score
                was 8?
                > > I'm afraid it's not common to reach a high score like this. I don't
                > > understand football at all, it's enough for me to know it's a ball game
                with
                > > two teams and two gates. But some of male colleagues could know more and

                > > give me an advice?
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > >
                > > Marketa
                > >
                > > --