RE: [Czechlist] HELP: round out final 8

  • Kent Christopher Kasha
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
      Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
      last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
      are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
      could say this team rounded out the final 8.

      Of course I could be way off base.

      Kent

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Christopher Kasha" wrote:

        > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
        > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
        > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
        > could say this team rounded out the final 8.

        Seconded. Lots of examples on Google seem to bear this out, e.g.

        The four winners of these games will round out the final eight teams of the 2008 college football playoff.
        http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.html

        BR

        Melvyn
      • Markéta Vilhelmová
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
          thank you...

          --
          Marketa Vilhelmova
          Domasov u Stbk. 46

          > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
          > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
          > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
          > could say this team rounded out the final 8.

          Seconded. Lots of examples on Google seem to bear this out, e.g.

          The four winners of these games will round out the final eight teams of the
          2008 college football playoff.
          http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.
          html
          (http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.html)

          BR

          Melvyn

          "=

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
            Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much higher.

            Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in someone throwing a ball?

            In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in the final match.

            What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

            Jamie

            On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

            > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
            > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
            > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
            > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
            >

            > Of course I could be way off base.
            >

            > Kent

          • Markéta Vilhelmová
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
              was UEFA, solved with the client already. thank you

              --
              Marketa Vilhelmova
              Domasov u Stbk. 46

              Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in
              American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of
              eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much
              higher.

              Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in
              someone throwing a ball?

              In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally
              establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the
              playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs
              are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in
              the final match.

              What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of
              football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

              Jamie

              On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

              > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
              > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
              > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
              > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
              >

              > Of course I could be way off base.
              >

              > Kent
              >

              > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com)
              > I have a marketing text in front of me which includes a picture of a
              > football pitch. There's a gate with quite many players in front of it and
              > short title "Round out final 8" and "AFP". I guess AFP should be a press
              > agency. But what could the "round out final 8" mean? That final score was
              8?
              > I'm afraid it's not common to reach a high score like this. I don't
              > understand football at all, it's enough for me to know it's a ball game
              with
              > two teams and two gates. But some of male colleagues could know more and
              > give me an advice?
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > Marketa
              >
              > --
              > Marketa Vilhelmova
              > Domasov u Stbk. 46
              > CZ-78501 Sternberk
              > Czech Republic
              > Comp. ID: 73360309
              > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
              > tel: +420 608 614 059
              > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@...(mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz)
              > skype: jirickovapeggy

              "=

            • wustpisk
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
                Does the pitch look like this: http://leoburnettgrads.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/1194986806906859364football_pitch__andy_bur_01-svg-hi.png

                or this:
                http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/G/gridiron.png

                if the former, then it is football, if the latter then it is American football.

                But I have never heard of any such terminology being used in conjunction with football, except for 'final 8'.

                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:

                > Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much higher.
                >
                > Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in someone throwing a ball?
                >
                > In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in the final match.
                >
                > What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of football and which level (professional, college, etc.).
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                > On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:
                >
                > > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
                > > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
                > > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
                > > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
                > >

                > > Of course I could be way off base.
                > >

                > > Kent

              • Markéta Vilhelmová
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
                  boys were right about advancing teams

                  --
                  Marketa Vilhelmova
                  Domasov u Stbk. 46

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com), James
                  Kirchner wrote:

                  > Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in
                  American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of
                  eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much
                  higher.

                  > Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in
                  someone throwing a ball?

                  > In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally
                  establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the
                  playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs
                  are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in
                  the final match.

                  > What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of
                  football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

                  > Jamie
                  >
                  > On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:
                  >
                  > > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be
                  the
                  > > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If
                  there
                  > > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
                  > > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
                  > >

                  > > Of course I could be way off base.
                  > >

                  > > Kent
                  > >

                  > > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com)
                  > > I have a marketing text in front of me which includes a picture of a
                  > > football pitch. There's a gate with quite many players in front of it
                  and a
                  > > short title "Round out final 8" and "AFP". I guess AFP should be a press

                  > > agency. But what could the "round out final 8" mean? That final score
                  was 8?
                  > > I'm afraid it's not common to reach a high score like this. I don't
                  > > understand football at all, it's enough for me to know it's a ball game
                  with
                  > > two teams and two gates. But some of male colleagues could know more and

                  > > give me an advice?
                  > >
                  > > Thank you,
                  > >
                  > > Marketa
                  > >
                  > > --