HELP: round out final 8

  • Markéta Vilhelmová
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hello,
      I have a marketing text in front of me which includes a picture of a
      football pitch. There's a gate with quite many players in front of it and a
      short title "Round out final 8" and "AFP". I guess AFP should be a press
      agency. But what could the "round out final 8" mean? That final score was 8?
      I'm afraid it's not common to reach a high score like this. I don't
      understand football at all, it's enough for me to know it's a ball game with
      two teams and two gates. But some of male colleagues could know more and
      give me an advice?

      Thank you,

      Marketa

      --
      Marketa Vilhelmova
      Domasov u Stbk. 46

    • Kent Christopher Kasha
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
        Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
        last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
        are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
        could say this team rounded out the final 8.

        Of course I could be way off base.

        Kent

[...]

        e-mail: marketa.jirickova@... <mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz>
        skype: jirickovapeggy

      • Melvyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Christopher Kasha" wrote:

          > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
          > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
          > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
          > could say this team rounded out the final 8.

          Seconded. Lots of examples on Google seem to bear this out, e.g.

          The four winners of these games will round out the final eight teams of the 2008 college football playoff.
          http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.html

          BR

          Melvyn
        • Markéta Vilhelmová
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
            thank you...

            --
            Marketa Vilhelmova
            Domasov u Stbk. 46

            > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
            > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
            > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
            > could say this team rounded out the final 8.

            Seconded. Lots of examples on Google seem to bear this out, e.g.

            The four winners of these games will round out the final eight teams of the
            2008 college football playoff.
            http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.
            html
            (http://kotitescorner.blogspot.cz/2008/12/2008-college-football-playoff_9621.html)

            BR

            Melvyn

            "=

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
              Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much higher.

              Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in someone throwing a ball?

              In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in the final match.

              What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

              Jamie

              On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

              > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
              > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
              > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
              > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
              >

              > Of course I could be way off base.
              >

              > Kent

            • Markéta Vilhelmová
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
                was UEFA, solved with the client already. thank you

                --
                Marketa Vilhelmova
                Domasov u Stbk. 46

                Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in
                American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of
                eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much
                higher.

                Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in
                someone throwing a ball?

                In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally
                establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the
                playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs
                are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in
                the final match.

                What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of
                football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

                Jamie

                On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:

                > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
                > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
                > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
                > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
                >

                > Of course I could be way off base.
                >

                > Kent
                >

                > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com)
                > I have a marketing text in front of me which includes a picture of a
                > football pitch. There's a gate with quite many players in front of it and
                > short title "Round out final 8" and "AFP". I guess AFP should be a press
                > agency. But what could the "round out final 8" mean? That final score was
                8?
                > I'm afraid it's not common to reach a high score like this. I don't
                > understand football at all, it's enough for me to know it's a ball game
                with
                > two teams and two gates. But some of male colleagues could know more and
                > give me an advice?
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Marketa
                >
                > --
                > Marketa Vilhelmova
                > Domasov u Stbk. 46
                > CZ-78501 Sternberk
                > Czech Republic
                > Comp. ID: 73360309
                > EU VAT: CZ7555252870
                > tel: +420 608 614 059
                > e-mail: marketa.jirickova@...(mailto:marketa.jirickova%40email.cz)
                > skype: jirickovapeggy

                "=

              • wustpisk
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
                  Does the pitch look like this: http://leoburnettgrads.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/1194986806906859364football_pitch__andy_bur_01-svg-hi.png

                  or this:
                  http://eager.back2roots.org/SSHOT/G/gridiron.png

                  if the former, then it is football, if the latter then it is American football.

                  But I have never heard of any such terminology being used in conjunction with football, except for 'final 8'.

                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, James Kirchner wrote:

                  > Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much higher.
                  >
                  > Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in someone throwing a ball?
                  >
                  > In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in the final match.
                  >
                  > What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of football and which level (professional, college, etc.).
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  >
                  > On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:
                  >
                  > > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be the
                  > > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If there
                  > > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
                  > > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
                  > >

                  > > Of course I could be way off base.
                  > >

                  > > Kent

                • Markéta Vilhelmová
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2013
                    boys were right about advancing teams

                    --
                    Marketa Vilhelmova
                    Domasov u Stbk. 46

                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com), James
                    Kirchner wrote:

                    > Are we talking about American football or soccer? Since every goal in
                    American football counts for six points, it's hard to get a final score of
                    eight, although it's theoretically possible, and most final scores are much
                    higher.

                    > Are we talking about "pitch" (UK), as in a field, or "pitch" (US) as in
                    someone throwing a ball?

                    > In any case, Kent is right, that it likely has to do with finally
                    establishing which eight regional teams will compete with each other in the
                    playoffs leading up to some final championship tournament. These playoffs
                    are elimination games, finally resulting in two teams facing each other in
                    the final match.

                    > What it means and which match depends on which country, which type of
                    football and which level (professional, college, etc.).

                    > Jamie
                    >
                    > On Feb 4, 2013, at 4:41 AM, Kent Christopher Kasha wrote:
                    >
                    > > Marketa, the first thing that occurred to me is that final 8 could be
                    the
                    > > last 8 teams advancing. To the playoffs? To some cup tournament? If
                    there
                    > > are seven teams, say, and then the final 8th team is decided, then they
                    > > could say this team rounded out the final 8.
                    > >

                    > > Of course I could be way off base.
                    > >

                    > > Kent
                    > >

                    > > From: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com(mailto:Czechlist%40yahoogroups.com)
                    > > I have a marketing text in front of me which includes a picture of a
                    > > football pitch. There's a gate with quite many players in front of it
                    and a
                    > > short title "Round out final 8" and "AFP". I guess AFP should be a press

                    > > agency. But what could the "round out final 8" mean? That final score
                    was 8?
                    > > I'm afraid it's not common to reach a high score like this. I don't
                    > > understand football at all, it's enough for me to know it's a ball game
                    with
                    > > two teams and two gates. But some of male colleagues could know more and

                    > > give me an advice?
                    > >
                    > > Thank you,
                    > >
                    > > Marketa
                    > >
                    > > --