[Czechlist] Name of makeshift pen

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
      Was there a name for that makeshift pen Czech kids use to write with, where they bought a tube of ballpoint refills, punched a hole in the cap, and jammed the tip of one of the refills through the cap?

      I figured there must have been a special name for that thing, but I never heard one.

      Thanks.

    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
        It's called bombic^kove' pero (bombicky are the little refills, but
        they contain ink, not ballpoint stuff, that's much thicker)... why did
        you think the pens were makeshift?

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
          Thank you. You answered a different question, but I didn't know the answer to that one either.

          What I saw actually were ballpoint refills; I'm not talking about a fountain pen with replaceable ink cartridges. These were actually plastic cylinders that ballpoint fillers came in, and the kids improvised a pen from them by punching through the plastic cap and jamming the point through it. Thus, the pen not only wrote, but it could hold more refills in case the kid ran out of ink during a test or something.

          Jamie

          On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:31 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:

          > It's called bombic^kove' pero (bombicky are the little refills, but
          > they contain ink, not ballpoint stuff, that's much thicker)... why did
          > you think the pens were makeshift?

        • (no author)
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
            Must have been growing up on another planet, don't remember these..

            > Thank you. You answered a different question, but I didn't know the
            >answer to that one either.
            >
            >What I saw actually were ballpoint refills; I'm not talking about a
            >fountain pen with replaceable ink cartridges. These were actually
            >plastic cylinders that ballpoint fillers came in, and the kids
            >improvised a pen from them by punching through the plastic cap and
            >jamming the point through it. Thus, the pen not only wrote, but it
            >could hold more refills in case the kid ran out of ink during a test
            >or something.
            >
            >Jamie
            >
            >On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:31 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:
            >
            >> It's called bombic^kove' pero (bombicky are the little refills, but
            >> they contain ink, not ballpoint stuff, that's much thicker)... why
            >did
            >> you think the pens were makeshift?

          • Josef Hlavac
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
              Ah, I remember those... but I don't recall a specific name, either. I
              think we just called them refills -- something like "napln do ciny".
              Cina of course meant "cinske pero", that is, a fancier ballpoint pen (of
              any origin) that was not a "propiska", that is, did not have a
              pushbutton-operated mechanism for hiding the tip.

              Here's a pair (without the contents and the blue cap):
              http://www.mo-na-ko.net/php/portal/_Clanky2007/MonakoII_b/001.jpg

              Josef

              On 4.2.2013 2:43, James Kirchner wrote:
              > Thank you. You answered a different question, but I didn't know the answer to that one either.
              >
              > What I saw actually were ballpoint refills; I'm not talking about a fountain pen with replaceable ink cartridges. These were actually plastic cylinders that ballpoint fillers came in, and the kids improvised a pen from them by punching through the plastic cap and jamming the point through it. Thus, the pen not only wrote, but it could hold more refills in case the kid ran out of ink during a test or something.
              >
              > Jamie
              >
              > On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:31 PM, Matej Klimes wrote:
              >
              >> It's called bombic^kove' pero (bombicky are the little refills, but
              >> they contain ink, not ballpoint stuff, that's much thicker)... why did
              >> you think the pens were makeshift?

            • wustpisk
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
                I think a 'cinak' is something different - I am glad they still make them http://www.mptoner.cz/produkt/11777-pero-cinske-5866/ I wonder if they are as splodgy as they used to be?

                But Jamie is probably thinking of the naplne as mentioned below - I used to use them on their own. Not a great solution, but it worked.